Best DAC/preamp for under $2K?

I'm looking for a DAC that also has a high quality preamp function for going direct to the amp. The BMC and Benchmark are two I'm aware of - are there other better options out there for around $2K?
larrybou
I have a NAD M51 and it is a great sounding DAC with to me what seems like a purely transparent volume control. You can not tell the difference between variable and fixed outputs at normal settings. It is the best digital volume I have experienced and I've owned a few preamps and another DAC with digital volume.

I don't use it as a preamp but my preamp doesn't have remote so I use the M51's volume often. As a source component it is pretty close to perfect for my needs, I have my TV, music server, and BluRay connected to it. The HDMI input is great, I play a lot of music/concert BluRays in 2.1 and the HDMI input will accept the 24/96 content from discs and the 24/192 content from the hard drive I have connected to my BluRay.

It sounds incredible with anything you send to it , even free Pandora at 128k sounds pretty good.

The only con and in my opinion a serious omission, is the lack of front panel volume control.

Other than that I love this DAC
Have you looked at the McIntosh D100 Dac/Pre?

Had the chance to audition one and it was very impressive.

I'm not sure if it's worth the $2.5K list, but it was very nice.

I recently went the other way, and picked up a ZDac on closeout for $300.00. Running balanced through an Ayre it's quiet and puts out a nice soundstage with good bass. They do run warm, and some have complained that they are prone to outputting a hum when running unbalanced.

The D100 is definitely better, but at slightly more than 8.3 times the cost. If I had the budget, the D100 along with the PS Audio MWII would definitely be on my shortlist.
I will build you a dac for under $2K that will blow your mind.

Send me a message.

Happy Listening.
Bigkidz. How much under $2k? Also how much over $2k does it sound? And does it blow one's mind in a good way?