Glanz moving magnet cartridges

Hi,

I have just acquired an old Glanz G5 moving magnet cartridge. However, I cannot find out any details about this or the Glanz range or, even the company and its history.

Can anyone out there assist me in starting to piece together a full picture?

Any experiences with this or other Glanz's; web links; set up information etc would be warmly received. Surely someone knows something!

Thanks in hope
dgob
Dear Dgob: +++++ " The distance between stylus tip and end of afixed headshell is 50mm. It uses silver connector cables in the headshell. Once afixed to your tonearm, the key issue is that the tonearm is exactly set at its correct mounting distance. " +++++

IMHO to say that " is exactly set at its correct mounting distance " is a misunderstood and plain wrong for say the least.

To achieve and follow the Baerwald or Lofgren cartridge/tonearm ( a pivot one. ) set up you have to know the distance between the TT center spindle to the center pivot tonearm point and the overhang ( each tonearm has its own shaped geometry to achieve the offset angle. ).

You can take your AC3300 tonearm that has a spec on overhang ( a very specific one ), this means that the cartridge has to be mounted in a way that meets that overhang, if the overhang can't meet that target then the tracking error will be different as tracking distortions.
Now take the AC4400 ( that is exactly the same Audiocraft AC3300 but with lomger arm wands. ) and you find out that the overhang is different to the one in the AC3300, so you have to change the cartridge headshell position, something that you can't do it with that cartridge.

Of course that maybe that cartridge could meet the precise asking overhang on some tonearms but certainly not in that " easy " way you posted.

In those old times the cartridge manufacturers was not aware or they don't give to much importance to that cartridge/tonearm precise set up as they don't be aware of the critical importance of the cartridge/headshell relationship for achieve the best quality performance in a cartridge. Today things already change about: we learn through the years.

Glanz was not the only " old " cartridge that comes with a integrated headshell, many cartridge manufacturers of those times choose to do the same, IMHO a not so good choice and not only because what I posted here about but because additional we can't improve the cartridge internal wiring that we all know makes a difference for the best or worse.
You have to think that that cartridge cables/connectors in your sample has around 30 years!!!, IMHO not the best.

IMHO you are surrounded of many additional distortions with that cartridge. Btw, nothing wrong with that you like it.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
The h/s connector to stylus distance is 50 mm, which is good for many FR tonearms (probably Ikeda as well) and for my L-07D. I have to find it. BTW, Empire XE/Z body can be purchased on Y!J and original styli from Garage A Records.
Hi Raul and Siniy123,

Thanks for sharing your views, information and opinions. Yes Raul, the Spu cartridges for example have a 52mm distance and are easily optimised engaging the same methods.

Siniy123, I will try it in my Ikeda once I have the time. Also, thanks for the heads-up about the 1000 ZE/X. I gave Raul my Empire because it was in a poor condition and (as with the M20FL Super and Andante P76) its bass performance was very hifi-ish. I might try it once I see enough feedback from a range of convincing users to merit my giving it another go.

If you get the chance Raul, I repeat that you really should give the Glanz (given your beliefs, maybe a MFG-71L; MFG-71E or G7) a go. Given the fact that there are various recent dialogues about the qualities of vintage cartridges, I don't think you should let the age of the Glanz make you quite so prejudiced.

I'd not claim it/they is/are the "BEST" cartridge[s] ever made at any time but I would place my honour behind my claim that it/they is/are [a] great cartridge[s]. All Raul's guesses are not as weighty as they will be when he has some experience in this area. Nevertheless, I do welcome your comments if not being convinced by certain claims.

Again, a genuine thanks
Dear Siny123: There are at least two important and critical subjects about: one is that those internal wire connectors deteriorate over time making poor connections.
The other subject is that those internal wires are precisely at the source where we have to have the best " connections " all over the audio system. Why don't you make a test? re-wire your audio system with 30 years old cables instead the ones you are using now: you will hear the huge difference in quality performance.

Siniy123, months ago I re-wire my Velodyne's ( the wire that goes from internal amplifier to the woofers. ) where I change a 50-60cm wire for a better one and even that is not easy to be aware of this kind of changes in a subwoofer the quality performance was/is really better.
Now imagine a change of wires at the source.

I don't want to follow on this Glanz subjects. I think I already write my opinion/worries.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.