Glanz moving magnet cartridges

Hi,

I have just acquired an old Glanz G5 moving magnet cartridge. However, I cannot find out any details about this or the Glanz range or, even the company and its history.

Can anyone out there assist me in starting to piece together a full picture?

Any experiences with this or other Glanz's; web links; set up information etc would be warmly received. Surely someone knows something!

Thanks in hope
dgob

Showing 5 responses by siniy123

Here is the USA patent that registered by Mitachi corp and used in Astatic MF series
http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT4123067
Dgob,
I guess you are talking about Glanz G series of cartridges - integrated into headshell. For many integrated cartridges the overhang adjustment is possible, e.g.: Audio Technica AT-25, Technics Technics EPC-205Cmk3. I'm not sure about Glanz G series. What is the distance from tonearm connector to stylus tip in your G5?

I link Glanz MFG and Astatic MF series by the fact that they look alike, the stylus assembly look alike and spec are the same.

Regarding the tonearm for my Astatic MF-100. I had a difficulty to match it at first (technics 1200, Micro Ma-505), but I found that tonearms with effective mass above 16 g should tried first. For example: there is excellent match between my Kenwood L-07D tonearm and this Astatic. One of my other friends reported that it works very good on his Audio Technica 1503 tonearm. Both of them have effective mass around 19 g.
Hope this helps.
The h/s connector to stylus distance is 50 mm, which is good for many FR tonearms (probably Ikeda as well) and for my L-07D. I have to find it. BTW, Empire XE/Z body can be purchased on Y!J and original styli from Garage A Records.
Raul,
I don't want to start another subject. Since from the begging it is already a moot point. But just the example: do you know how old the wire on that Empire 1000 XE/Z is? Probably 40 year old. And do you know how long is the wire there? I afraid to say that I use device that is more than 30 year old and full of electronic components. This Accuphase C-220 is very good performer. Probably wire inside the enclosed headshell can be improved, but this is not we should be worry about in this excellent (as reported) cartridge. May be this enclosed headshell plays some magic with mechanical resonances. I speculate: it can give a notch above their brethren such as Astatic MF-100.
I've seen enough of new crappy carts with fresh off the mill wiring and you-name-it headshell wires and tonearm cable. Mechanical properties of vinyl playback are magnitudes more that interconnecting wiring influence.