Glanz moving magnet cartridges

Hi,

I have just acquired an old Glanz G5 moving magnet cartridge. However, I cannot find out any details about this or the Glanz range or, even the company and its history.

Can anyone out there assist me in starting to piece together a full picture?

Any experiences with this or other Glanz's; web links; set up information etc would be warmly received. Surely someone knows something!

Thanks in hope
dgob
Raul,

I hear your opinion and appreciate the received logic that underpins it. It is too difficult to explain the lengths and depth of testing that this has gone through.

Really, and honestly, if you get the chance you need to hear this cartridge. The design of cartridge in headshell was in fact the preferred manafacturer's set up and the performance statistics are also higher on these G series cartridges.

Some say that a millimetre here or there is not essential but for me that is "way off". You might differ but you really would not be able to question the performance of the Glanz G5. I know your commentary well enough to be certain that you would not want to continue to talk from a position of ignorance and I'm sure you will let the cartridge speak for itself - when you get a chance.

The entire frequency range is far superior to so many of the popular cartridges that I expect nothing but complete satisfaction and I am willing to be that you will love it (or the G7, MFG-71E or MFG-71L, assuming the G7 to be superior according to performance statistics).

Thanks for your kind comments they are always interesting and you will no doubt be surprised.
Hi All,

Just a quick noted about the design of the G series Glanz cartridges. The distance between stylus tip and end of afixed headshell is 50mm. It uses silver connector cables in the headshell. Once afixed to your tonearm, the key issue is that the tonearm is exactly set at its correct mounting distance. You then need to ensure VTA and VTF.

Once you achieve these (very simple) tasks, the cartridges are designed to operate at their optimum. Regardless of tonearm recommended overhang parameters (and here one of course recalls the error in the Ikeda IT407 tonearm set up instructions and template!!), the cartridge headshell design will be at its optimum. You will, for example notice that off set is accurate at both null points.

It is not a cartridge for the uncreative nor for the hifi obsessed: because you will need to use your ear (and/or those of professional musicians or piano tuners - as is my case) and follow the above instructions above anything else. What it/they are is a tool with an unrivalled - in my experience - ability to convey live music in a manner that recaptures live performances at specific venues where I have experienced these.

However, forget any dogma and - as I suggested to the last poster - let your ears guide you. They are VERY special.
Dear Dgob: +++++ " The distance between stylus tip and end of afixed headshell is 50mm. It uses silver connector cables in the headshell. Once afixed to your tonearm, the key issue is that the tonearm is exactly set at its correct mounting distance. " +++++

IMHO to say that " is exactly set at its correct mounting distance " is a misunderstood and plain wrong for say the least.

To achieve and follow the Baerwald or Lofgren cartridge/tonearm ( a pivot one. ) set up you have to know the distance between the TT center spindle to the center pivot tonearm point and the overhang ( each tonearm has its own shaped geometry to achieve the offset angle. ).

You can take your AC3300 tonearm that has a spec on overhang ( a very specific one ), this means that the cartridge has to be mounted in a way that meets that overhang, if the overhang can't meet that target then the tracking error will be different as tracking distortions.
Now take the AC4400 ( that is exactly the same Audiocraft AC3300 but with lomger arm wands. ) and you find out that the overhang is different to the one in the AC3300, so you have to change the cartridge headshell position, something that you can't do it with that cartridge.

Of course that maybe that cartridge could meet the precise asking overhang on some tonearms but certainly not in that " easy " way you posted.

In those old times the cartridge manufacturers was not aware or they don't give to much importance to that cartridge/tonearm precise set up as they don't be aware of the critical importance of the cartridge/headshell relationship for achieve the best quality performance in a cartridge. Today things already change about: we learn through the years.

Glanz was not the only " old " cartridge that comes with a integrated headshell, many cartridge manufacturers of those times choose to do the same, IMHO a not so good choice and not only because what I posted here about but because additional we can't improve the cartridge internal wiring that we all know makes a difference for the best or worse.
You have to think that that cartridge cables/connectors in your sample has around 30 years!!!, IMHO not the best.

IMHO you are surrounded of many additional distortions with that cartridge. Btw, nothing wrong with that you like it.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
The h/s connector to stylus distance is 50 mm, which is good for many FR tonearms (probably Ikeda as well) and for my L-07D. I have to find it. BTW, Empire XE/Z body can be purchased on Y!J and original styli from Garage A Records.