New Maplenoll Ariadne owner needing advice

I have recently purchased a maplenoll ariadne. I have tried to learn a little about the table but find very little information. I know the table was discontinued in the 90's but the little i have found indicated it is a very good table. I am interested to learn if there are any tricks or problems to optimizing this table. As most of you probably know, it is an air bearing platter and tonearm. I plan on putting my zxy airy 3 on the arm once I get it set up.
oilmanmojo
Oilmanmojo: As The 'Noll Evolves.

The stillpoints are amazing . They rekindeled a passion for change. I now recognize that more air regulation--per Piedpiper recommendations (here and on the Air Pump Thread) and L. Walkers letter--should be implemented to achieve superior regulation of the TT's air supply. Hopefully the efforts will translate into more "musical-ness-ness" or something akin to that.

This is not my first A/S redo but I intend to tweek out more control than in times past. What I currently have is not shabby , but I'm moveing ahead to the land of air regulation.

To that end , I went on a buying sarfari camping @ "Harbor Tools". There I purchased ; (2) Air Pressure Regulators (0-160 PSI) , (1) inline brass in-line regulator ,(2) Oil/Water separators and (1)Charcoal-Type Filter . I also picked-up several solid brass adaptors to reduce the 1/4'' NPT Male Inlets & Female outlets on everything down to 3.17 mm (1/8''). Every purchase was on sale priced -- 50% off , then another 50% on the remaing cost. The total was $19.60. Cheep!

A quick excursion to nearby "Home Depot" was in order where I sourced several more brass adaptors -- a must for the project @ $2.35 per item. A stop-over @ Pep Boys Auto, Small Parts Aisle for "Vacu-Tite T-Valves'"@ $1.99 ea., as well as, several "Purolator Fuel Filters" @ 3.99 ea. On the way home I couldn't resist throwing-a-line @ "Pet Smart" . The Fish Department had all sorts of goodies -- "Top Fin" air connectors, brass T's & Check-Valve/ Air Filters all 3.17 mm sized @ 1.99 each. So its over-kill: I bought'em all. Now its a numbers game ... putting #1 here and #2 there until all is completed. Oh, I didn't forget the teflon tape and pipe joint compound all ready at the Audio-Ranch.

The Ranchero holds a scad of Air Plenum's( Scott Leventhal's design ) and an additional 500' of 'Noll tubing. As I recoop from surgery I intend to tackel the air issue one foot pound at a time. Soon I'll thread back the results. Much more to come (Maybe) .
I've been following this thread with interest as I used to own a Mapleknoll 20 yrs ago! Was the original model with the funky wood body. It was one of the finest sounding turntables I'd ever owned BUT...man, did she require attention. Pumps, hoses, air pressure and having to find places isolated enough to set it all up. I bought myself a Linn/Ittok/Lingo in 1990 that's still working flawlessly to this day. I always felt the Mapleknoll was the better sounding table but I opted for the simplicity of JUST worrying about leveling, VTA, VTF and all the rest!
I have ordered the stillpoints and will let you know how they do in my system. I agree with the increase in pressure and air pressure regulation. I still have not brought my permanent air compressor but i have a great dampening system similar to what you are talking about.I do have a 30 gallon tank that my compressor is connected to and have the pressure regulated from that vessel. The larger tank along with the "walker" plenums definitely smooth out the pressure. I will end up going with a jun-air model 3 (oil lubricated compressor) but will wait until I get my move finished (relocating everything to Shreveport, La). The higher pressure smoothed out everything. I am working on a carbon fiber tonearm but it will require some modifications to spindle to get it right. Once finished, it will allow for direct cable connection with the phono preamp and allow for easier VTA adjustment.
Chazro,

the Athena you describe having had was a far cry for the later models which got less and less tweeky. They, as well as virtually any table, still get better given a willingness to get your hands dirty.
Threaders :

A Brief Review of Maplenoll Athea : Athea AB , Athea AB MKII & MKII

Maplenoll made several versions ,noted above, of the Athea ; a air bearing , belt driven , wood / lead , spring suspended record player. Most Maplenoll's can be accurately defined as record players due to the fact they are all-an-one less the phono cartridge.

The Absolute Sound Magazine(TAS) published a 2 part article penned by Eunice Lumley, Volume 11/12, Issues 48/49, Fall 1987 that are a must for any maplenoll owner , but most importantly, Athea owners.

Eunice took 2 years to write the Article(s) using 3 Athea's that she intensly tweaked for next to no-money ($6.). Much of what she generalizes in useful tweaks can apply to other 'Noll's as well.

According to Lumely , all Athea's prior to 1986 are to be avoided due to a myrid of quality & design issues. Eunice wrote that players named "Athea" (ed.with additional designations reflecting post '86 ) are the ones to own .

Maplenoll's claim to fame for the Athea's was the price --$795 w/a alum-lead platter and clunky air pump. However, all tricked out Eunice felt the Athea was the " Value of the Century" or something like that.

Unfortunately, TAS has made a decision not to generally publish articles before Issue 122 for a myriad of potental legal/ownership problems.

Issues 48 & 49 are copyrighted materals so reprinting as a "freebe" can be dicey if not expensive (federal fines) for the publisher. But do not dispair. Thousands of #48/49 were published and most surive to show up on the used market @ $10/$15 who those who know of there value-- $2/$3 for those who do not. Good Hunting.