Just bought a nitty gritty, hear no difference.

Hi folks,

So I bit the bullet and bought a Nitty Gritty Record Doctor III, which is distributed only through Audio Advisor. It's a cheaper version of the 1.0- same functionality, with a slightly more utilitarian design, and $100 cheaper. I've cleaned about 10 records with it, and I hear absolutely no difference between records cleaned with the vacuum machine and those cleaned by my $10 record brush. What's the deal? I'm following the instructions to a T... I'd love to hear your ideas.

Thanks!
128x128lousyreeds1
I had the NG 1.1 and I used to use a Sound GUard mat to scrub the record on before the vacuum stage. I found that the Sound Guard mat held the record in place and allowed me to really bear down with the brush to lossen all that would come off. I did upgrade to the VPI 16.5 and can do that scrubbing on the platter now. But one more thing is I bought the Needle Doctor Scrubbing brushes too. I found those worked much better than the NG Brush.
Good Luck!
All,

First of all, the solution to pollution is dilution. The more fluid you lay on the record, the lower the concentration dirt in the fluid and the cleaner your records will be ... to a point, of course.

One of the difficulties in learning how to use a Nitty Gritty based system is that the surface being cleaned is upside down. It's difficult to monitor the fluid amount you lay on the record.

When I owned one, I developed a technique of pumping several times, waiting for the fabric on the cleaning slot to saturate, in order to distribute more fluid on the record surface. I'd saturate the slot several times while rotating and stopping the record.

Now, to Porziob's uninformed comments ...

The better the vinyl rig, the quieter your records will sound. PERIOD! Much of the noise you hear on a low-resolution vinyl rig has to do with resonance - the ringing which occurs after of the initial "pop".

A first class turntable and tonearm will ring FAR LESS, and your records will sound quieter.

Certainly, noisy records will be noisy, but you'd be amazed at what a high mass turntable and a first-class tonearm can do to quiet down your record collection.

Now, I know several audiophiles who are dismayed to hear any noise on an LP surface. You have my sympathies, because you are tortured souls and are missing a wealth of our musical heritage in the process.

Last year, sales of new LP's surpassed the combined sales of both "high resolution" digital formats (DVDA and SACD). At present, analog remains the high resolution medium, and digital is the medium of convenience.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier