Sony XA-5400es player...Giant Killer or just Ok?

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting an used Sony 5400es from a local dealer.Some say that it's Great, I need to know the Real Deal.
alpha3
I see you own a 9000ES. If you have a lot of SACDs, the 5400 is very good with that format. If you're satisfied with the 9000, you'll be satisfied with the 5400. Other than that, you get what you pay for. It's a well-built, good-sounding machine.
And, with the wide range of comment on it here, on other forums and on other websites, the feelings of others are widely available. A handful of additional random opinions won't be definitive.

You will not know if it is the "real deal" until you listen for yourself.
I have nothing to add to Kr4 comments, except about the reliability of Sony players. I think Tmsorosk's experience can be chalked up to anomaly. I own several Sony players, including an XA5400ES, and none has ever broken. I did send one to Sony repair when it stopped playing SACDs after years of service. Of course, the Oppo BDP-93 and 95 are worth considering as well, and they have the best customer support I've ever experienced. I'm skeptical about "giants" to be killed, or that expensive implies giantism.

db
Check the archives. This bone was chewed for a long time with differing opinions. Some, like Daveb, thinking it was the second coming, and others complaining about aspects of the sound, and it's reliability.
i don't know if this helps.

i consulted dan wright and asked about the sony with the tube mod compared to the oppo 83se with the same mod.

he recommended the oppo with the tube mod.

he suggested the sound of the sony was a bit sharper (in the treble).

of course the right tube may mitigate the treble problem.

what about marantz or conrad johnson universal player.

i realize the thread is about sony. you might consider other brands as well.