Oppo BDP83SE vs Oppo BDP95

How does the Oppo BDP83SE compare with the Oppo BDP95?
50jess
Strangely, my experience (after about 450 hours on the 95) is similar to that of Dopogue. I wouldn't use the term "recessed", but I am unimpressed. What I hear is a lack of "meat" on the bones...a lack of density of tone and image. The 95 also sounds somewhat strident to me. Now, of course, we all listen and compare what we hear to something else: live music, some other system or component, etc. In my case, I am used to listening to my heavily Exemplar-modified Denon 3910 (with tube out-put stage).

Having said all that, I am still considering keeping the Oppo...and getting it modified. I say this because I keep reading many excited comments from others. Part of my dilemma, however, is that I am not tolerating the fan noise well at all.
Dopogue, I speak only to the merits of the 95, as I never owned an Oppo product prior to it. Not sure why it took the 95 so long to settle but this is what it took in my setup.I only posted to give some insight on what I found over the course 500 hrs and especially the out the box recessed sound which I experienced as well and was about to send it back!That my friend would have been the biggest opportunity missed by me in 25yrs of this hobby! if you get a chance to hear a settled one post back what you find!

Jeff
Jfz, you captured what I was hearing, better than I did. Except for the "strident" part. What I heard was more polite. Maybe it gets more strident as it breaks in :-)

Seriously, I listened for only a couple of hours but I did have my 83SE for direct comparison, and however good the 95 might eventually get, I don't think it would be good enough to make me switch.

Jdub39, I think you might like the 83SE too.
No chance!on the 83se and sorry Jfz the 95 is not doing it for you! although I find it a bit curious as my 95 replaced a stock Denon 5900 which had what I like to call That big full Denon sound" I found the 95 did not to give up anything in terms of image weight, in fact it bested the denon in terms of low end extension and definition! As for stridency I'm at a lost? If I may ask what Powercord and Ic's do you use? And how do you have your 95 setup?
My 95 is on a Vibraplane, and I'm using Elrod Power System cables. Remember too: My Denon is very heavily modified. As for stridency: I think the lack of "meat" is what causes me to experience the sound that way.