You got to be ?& · Kidding me

To be as short as possible, I just came across many articles on the web regarding a trend amongst DAC designers to disregard all the Industry has learnt and done in 30 years and go back to the basics.

I am on the market for a new DAC, so I was researching many options such as Weiss, Berkley Alpha, Bryston, etc...

And then I came across an article regarding a DAC GURU from Eastern Europe that on his point of view a 1980´s TDA1541A D/A chip and using no Up-sampling is far more musical approach than any up-to-date Burr Brown, Crysta or Wolfson DAC with 24 Bit 96 or 192 Khz technology.

But it seems that he is not alone, there are many DAC designers using this scheme as well. SO I HAVE TO ASK, "ARE YOU SERIOUS??!!!"
kapa11
sorry , but some people actually like the sound of the original sony play station also. and rolled off warm sounding cables, and warm and rolled off speakers, and warm and rolled off electronics. for those people, great, what you do in the privacy of your own home is your own business , but state of the art its not, nor is it what hi end is suppose to be about, and thats getting out of the way, and letting the recording come through with the least amount of editorializing as possible.
hi chrissain:

the word suppose should be avoided when talking about a hobby where most comments are opinion based.

there are no shoulds, only preferences.
well I suppose your right. but I think there is a point to all this and that is to recreate as close as possible the sound of real music in your home. And if that is truly your goal, then there are absolutes in this hobby, and indeed some gear is actually better than others and not just different sounding.
Thank you Alex. And, yes, I certainly have not heard all there is to hear. I would certainly welcome an audition of one of your masterpieces, I understand you have quite a following and reputation.
Regards,
William
And if that is truly your goal, then there are absolutes in this hobby, and indeed some gear is actually better than others and not just different sounding.

Because we are human and as individual as our faces and fingerprints, we each perceive and judge things in ways entirely unique to the individual; your "absolute" may in fact not fit into someone else's version of an "absolute". It's all good - whatever puts a smile on your face and gets your feet tapping and head bobbing. We are not machines, and even if you could quantify all the things that make up a realistic representation of live music in one's home environment there would be those who prefer something slightly (or not so slightly) different. The "hobby" for me is my enjoyment of music and how it moves me and inspires me. This requires no absolutes at all - I just find what works for me and enjoy it.