Looking for a high-quality 2-way speaker

Has anyone ever compared: Rockport Alya, YG Acoustics Carmel, Magico S1 / Q 1 and Raidho C 1.1 / D 1 ?

Trying to help a friend building a "small scale" but very high quality and resolving system. Gear in use is Ayre AX-5 + Ayre DX-5. Everything wired with Cardas Clear.

Thanks for any useful help.
frankpiet
I would add TAD CR1 to the list if it's in his price range. I heard the Q1 - excellent speaker that disappears well and has spectacular imaging on audiophile material. However listening to some non audiophile cuts, the sound was less than stellar. Then hearing these same cuts on the CR1 (which is actually a 3 Way) suddenly had much more inner detail and sounded like audiophile material. I heard the Raiho's at the NY Show. So much air and mid/top detail, but without nearly the the body and mid bass punch of the TAD's. Could he spring for the 2.5 way Raidho C2.1? That's a speaker I could live with (still dont think it has the fullness and punch of the TAD, but has more air) I have heard the Carmel, which is very good, but I don't think it's in the same league (look at the tweeter it uses). But hearing the larger YG's with the battery operated Veloce gear was amazing.
Hi Emailists. I need a floorstander (so the Raidho 2.1 is not an option) as I have already got Lumen White monitors in my larger listening room. For my second system I need excellent smaller speakers that match my Ayre gear.

Do you remember which electronics and cabelling was used at the demos at NY you have attended ? Do you remember on how big the show rooms were ? (my smaller room is only 4x5,5 meters).

Which Raidho did you listen to C 1.1 or D 1 ?
You've got some great speakers listed. At the recent NY Audio show I got to hear the Carmels back-to-back with the Joseph Audio Perspectives -- different rooms a couple doors apart -- playing the same track (St. James Infirmary). From the mids on up they both sounded very good and more alike than different, but the Carmels were less linear and a little boomier in the bass (not uncommon under show conditions) despite being in a much larger room. The Perspectives were in a very small room and still sounded very balanced and detailed across the board, and they're wired internally with Cardas wire so that may mate well with your current cables. I think the fact that they worked very well in a small room may be a plus for you as well. Quite frankly with a small room I'd go for the Pulsars that will have similar sound characteristics and save you several thousand dollars, but you say you need a floorstander.

The Alya lists for almost $30k and is over $10k more expensive than any of the others you listed. I think the Mira 2 would be the more appropriate model to look at considering price (altough they're 3-ways with side-firing woofers I believe), but I've never heard it or the Alya. Not sure the Mira 2 uses Rockport's latest thinking in technology, components, and design though. Probably still a great-sounding speaker though (I've only heard the Altairs).

Heard the C1.1s and they sounded very good as well, although despite being in a relatively large room were still a little boomy with some material. Probably a setup and/or room issue, but something to consider since your room is small. Obviously these are not floorstanders if that's what you're looking for.

Didn't have Magicos at the show and I've only heard the Q7s, but I'd think the S1 would be well worth an audition as I think they're a sealed-box design that might work well in smaller rooms. The Q1 is a monitor so not really what you're looking for right?

Obviously take all the show-related thoughts with the usual caveats -- just throwing them out there as something to think about. Best of luck.
I heard the Carmels in two different rooms at the Newport Beach Show and loved their natural sound, but only heard the larger Magicos (Q3 and S5) and neither of the others on your list. I really liked two other two-ways at the show, and they were quite inexpensive. One was the Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne (I bought a pair) and one of the FritzSpeakers. Sorry to have not directly answered your question directly but IMO you don't have to spend big bucks if you are looking for a good 2-way speaker. I am a big fan of 2-ways and now even full-range drivers since I am in a small room.