Is the idea of audiophile listening a dying concept as boomers die off?

I’m a boomer myself and was wondering if any other listeners have knowledge or data on how much of a declining industry high end audio is in general? Or am I mistaken and it’s not dying off at all?

tubelvr11

Gen X here and love my system started way back in my 30s that would be the late 90s and in that time only met a handful of others into good sound in person. Outside of CAF and at my dealers that is and a few friends have gotten into vinyl and have starter systems and that's cool. There is so much good gear out there now and still tons of affordable stuff.

I think the high end is generally doing fine...but the days of many/most homes having a decent/good stereo are mostly over..,

@ghasley  — I agree. The challenge of putting together a great audio system with little money is SO easy today compared to earlier. Especially with used stuff and a little knowledge. I agree with your posit.

Here's my posit: there is a level of sustained attention required for audio listening. That is why the gear matters. The more distraction there is, the less people engage in sustained attention. That's why audiophiles are a vanishing breed. Distraction will win and attention will lose — and you won't need expensive gear for the distractions. 

@roadcykler 

Who cares? Enjoy the music via whatever format you have.

I still don't get why people who think a thread is worthless take the time to sound off. I mean, don't they have a closet to go in and yell? Or a dog to kick?

Please don't answer me. I don't care.

Source quality, for the listener, has never been better. Streaming pretty much makes CD quality ubiquitous and many systems are capable of delivering more. Analog is there for those who have or are curious to try those media. Considering the source  limitations of a generation ago, a worldwide streaming capability at CD quality was unthinkable at a consumer level. Even in analog, the equipment selection is an order of magnitude greater than when I bought my first (modest, college student) turntable. The web has delivered a range of gear no brick and mortar-based market ever could. Asia has become an innovative and increasingly prosperous market for every kind of gear which in turn has made many new products available for very reasonable prices everywhere.  These are the best of times in audio.

97 posts

Who cares? Enjoy the music via whatever format you have. The kid (me) going to sleep with an AM radio under his pillow liked what he was hearing just as much as the adult (still me) does hearing it via a pretty good system.

@roadcykler 

Great post. I can really relate.