Vandersteen Treo vs 3A Sig as upgrade

I had my local dealer hook up a pair of Treos to demo them and left with a very mixed impression. I like the overall sound. They have a smoother, more refined and sophisticated midrange that the 3A Sigs can't match. I want that. But the bass was less defined and the top end was bright. The sibilance was very exaggerated - this was with CD. Is this the character of the Treo? Thanks!
wlutke
Tomic601 =

You make a good point. I'll go back for another demo with an open mind and a battle plan. I'll bring my own music, have them set up the speakers properly and use something better than the single run Kimber 8TC wire in a split HI/LO configuration. Stay tuned..
Interesting discussions guys, I have auditioned the Treo & Quattro (non-CT upgraded) and was not impressed. The same can be said for the Aeriel 7t and 6t models. Perhaps it was an improper set-up or an improper acoustically damped room, or both. These are not bad speakers per se, they are not outstanding, either. There is better money to be spent on better loudspeakers IMO. Keep me posted and Happy Listening!
Jafant. Give us some examples. Anyone can make the statement you just made....
That's the way !
Back in the day..thirty years ago I would have, could have just sent you home with a pair to play with for extended weekend....that is IMO part of the value a brick and mortar dlr can deliver....
Btw my old dog AQ type 6 is in a TRUE shotgun configuration also. :-)
Wlutke, honestly, your response didn't bother me at all and that was even before I read the tongue in cheek part. You made the assumption that it would I guess, lol. I never take criticism on boards personally as I only know a few folks here personally. Here is the only think I posted about the Nordost brand:
Not saying Nordost doesn't at all, but I'm saying that AQ or even Basis cables will get you where you want to be.

I've heard all the Nordost cable including the series two from Odin to Heimdall. Mostly on Wilson speakers and I am not a Wilson fan at all, so that's part of it. I've had series two in my system (the Valhalla 2). It took a bit of the emotion away for my ear. That said, it was a very detailed set of cables and sounded good. I just prefer the AQ cables with Ayre and Vandy's. My system right now is ruthlessly revealing while still being totally non fatiguing. Your Nordost cables will never be fatiguing on the Vandys, that's a given. We all like different sound and that's why we keep all these brands in business. I have friends who use all types of cables with Vandy's and one of them is a close friend. He was using a brand other than AQ in his system and he complained that he didn't love the upper midrange. He brought two separate (true bi wire) pair of AQ Oak in 8' runs. He immediately switched over to all AQ and said he loves the system. I know people who don't like AQ cables and swear by MIT or Transparent. I've heard the Transparent on those same Wilsons and not liked them at all. Again, it may be the speakers, but I felt exhausted after an hour of listening.

In the end they are all great in your system as long as you love them. I just tend to try new things when I make a change in the system. That's how I switch from Proac's to Vandersteen. I wasn't even going to listen to them until Johnny asked me to after I auditioned some Proac's....

Jafant, we'd all like to hear your examples.....What didn't impress you enough that you make this same statement on any Vandersteen thread? I'm sure that you can just make a list of speakers and post, but at least that would be better than a hit and run, lol. j/k