What is the science behind audiophile fuses?

There were many threads on the topic of "audiophile fuses" on this forum, and I sure don't want to open old wounds and trench warfare. The fuse on my preamp blew suddenly two days ago, which prompted me to search for a replacement. That's when I came across the term "audiophile fuse" and the fact that they demand far-out prices. Deeper curiosity brought me to several other fora, where users posted glowing praises about their Zero fuses and other exotica. Now I am a scientist, but not a physicist or electrical engineer: so please enlighten me! How can a fuse have an audible influence on the signal, when the signal does not even pass through it? How can a fuse be "directional" when it deals with alternate current? I mean, if I recall my university physics, a fuse is basically a safety valve and nothing more. Am I completely missing an important point here? My scientific field is drug discovery, and because of this background I am thoroughly familiar with the power and reality of the placebo effect. I that's what I am seeing here, or is it real physics? I need objective facts and not opinions, please. I really appreciate your help!

128x128reimarc

Audiophile fuses are generally supported by those who spent a pile on them and are wallowing in expectation bias. Magic Fuses have never gained acceptance by the vast majority of audiophiles and certainly not gear manufacturers as there is simply no need to use them when companies like Litttelfuse and others make great fuses that work properly. Fuses are simply tiny wires designed to protect your gear and are not part of the signal chain...period.  However, if an expensive item that has no impact on the sound of your system makes you feel better I suppose that has some value.

wolf_garcia

... if an expensive item that has no impact on the sound of your system makes you feel better I suppose that has some value.

If a comment that lacks logic or the benefit of experience makes you feel better I suppose that has some value.

@carlsbad2  Thanks for the reply…got that was looking more for what you are using for slugs.  How to buy or make them? Metal type etc. 

No one can tell you whether/how your system, room and/or ears will respond to some new addition.   There are simply too many variables.

LIKEWISE: no one can possibly know whether a new addition (ie: some kind of disc, crystal, fuse, interconnect, speaker cable, etc)  will make a difference, in their system and room, with their media and to their ears, without trying them for themselves.   

Some companies offer a 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee, so- those that are actually interested, have absolutely nothing to lose, by trying (experimenting with) such.     

Anyone that knows anything about the sciences, realizes that something like 96% of what makes up this universe, remains a mystery.       

For centuries; humanity’s seen, heard, felt and otherwise witnessed phenomena, that none of the best minds could explain, UNTIL they developed a science or measurement, that could explain it.     

The Naysayer Church wants you to trust their antiquated science (1800’s electrical theory) and faith-based, religious doctrine, BLINDLY ("Trust ME!"). 

Theories have never proven or disproven anything.  It’s INVARIABLY testing and experimentation that proves or disproves theories/hypotheses.   

IF you’re interested in the possibility of improving your system’s presentation, have a shred of confidence in your capacity for perceiving reality and trust your own senses: actually TRY whatever whets your aural appetite, FOR YOURSELF.         

The Naysayer Church HATES it, when THAT happens!