What is the science behind audiophile fuses?

There were many threads on the topic of "audiophile fuses" on this forum, and I sure don't want to open old wounds and trench warfare. The fuse on my preamp blew suddenly two days ago, which prompted me to search for a replacement. That's when I came across the term "audiophile fuse" and the fact that they demand far-out prices. Deeper curiosity brought me to several other fora, where users posted glowing praises about their Zero fuses and other exotica. Now I am a scientist, but not a physicist or electrical engineer: so please enlighten me! How can a fuse have an audible influence on the signal, when the signal does not even pass through it? How can a fuse be "directional" when it deals with alternate current? I mean, if I recall my university physics, a fuse is basically a safety valve and nothing more. Am I completely missing an important point here? My scientific field is drug discovery, and because of this background I am thoroughly familiar with the power and reality of the placebo effect. I that's what I am seeing here, or is it real physics? I need objective facts and not opinions, please. I really appreciate your help!

128x128reimarc

@carlsbad2 when you refer to slugs what exactly are they, do you make your own or where do you get them?  Curious minds want to know 

@noromance 

Visiting Chuck Miller's Millercarbon room at PAF gave me the opportunity to check in on Townshend Audio, a quirky British manufacturer of audio gear best known for its well-engineered and very effective isolation products.

Not entirely clear whether MC had a room with his personal kit that happens to use Townshend products, or whether his was actually a room representing Townshend. 
It seems Townshend would want to have a say in the gear used to display their products since the resulting SQ would represent the brand - maybe they did?

BTW, back to fuses, I have done the Teflon tape thing, and also used small orthodontic rubber bands across the tops of the fuse holder tynes to insure a secure connection, after first treating the end caps with a conductive material (i.e., ProGold, etc.).

Audiophile fuses are generally supported by those who spent a pile on them and are wallowing in expectation bias. Magic Fuses have never gained acceptance by the vast majority of audiophiles and certainly not gear manufacturers as there is simply no need to use them when companies like Litttelfuse and others make great fuses that work properly. Fuses are simply tiny wires designed to protect your gear and are not part of the signal chain...period.  However, if an expensive item that has no impact on the sound of your system makes you feel better I suppose that has some value.

wolf_garcia

... if an expensive item that has no impact on the sound of your system makes you feel better I suppose that has some value.

If a comment that lacks logic or the benefit of experience makes you feel better I suppose that has some value.