First Tube amp suggestions

I am thinking of buying my first tube amplifier and really have no idea where to start.  Years ago I listened to a Sophia Electric  el34 amp (SET) driving a pair of Joseph Audio rm7si bookshelf speakers in a very well set up room and could not believe how sweet they sounded together for the price. (It really felt like James Taylor was in the room).  I regret that I never pulled the trigger on that system and do not know what a good entry level system would be nowadays.  I listen  mainly to male and female folk rock and an occasional classical or jazz album (Cd's and streaming from Tidal)  My current speakers are Triangle Borea BR03's  -90 db but am open to swapping them out. and the listening room is 14' x 20'.  There is a lot of internet chatter about low cost tube amps like the Reisong A12 and the mid priced Williston R8.  Are these amps worth buying or where should I start?  Thanks in advance!

tritube

Maybe not the best advice to somebody who wants to go down the tube route, but with myself being a die hard tube user for numerous years, there is a relevance to the suggestion.

I have heard over recent years SS Power Amp's that are in my view as attractive in use as a Tube Amp' that does not have noticeable bloom.

If you think bloom is your thing, (certainly not mine) and it has not been lived with for a period of time, when encountered and it is present with the capability to be perceived as being detected for a extended period. The bloom/coloration becomes a detractor and is fatiguing, that is how I react to it.

The impact on the the settlement into the musical encounter is no different to a harsh high frequency, the experience is not wanted to be endured, and shortening of the planned time for a session will be the outcome. 

I use tube equipment that in the world of tubes are on the transparent side of the scale. There are SS Class D Amp's that I have heard in A/B comparison and these are quite similar in how they evoke emotion and encourage a embracing of the musical encounter.

My suggestion if noticeable bloom/colouration is not being sought, would be to have a look at a B1 Korg Pre-Amp' to be paired with a Class D SS Power Amp. This will catapult one quite close to what a well worked out design for a Transparent Type of Tube Amp can offer, without any concerns for what owning Valve equipment carries.    

A lot of suggestions here are for SET amps.  An SET will have trouble driving the speakers you have.  You're going to be left wanting for more.

If you were a friend and asked me I would tell you that you should NOT go down the tube path yet. You have so much more to explore with hi-end solid state components that you haven't even approached great solid state sound. Solid state gets better and better at delivering outstanding sound even rivaling tubes. A great SS system will definitely put the musician in your room and can even give you that organic natural live stage presence you are looking for. I'm afraid to get where you want to go will take more than your budget allows. But if you take your time and buy quality pre-owned you can get there. Also, current tube shortages/high tube prices make it a terrible time to go into tube components for the first time.

P.S. I know I will get flamed by the tube cultists. But I am willing to take the flames for you. I currently own a CARY V12R and CARY 805AE mono amps but rarely listen to them anymore preferring to listen to my Plinius SA100 amp.

I just want to say after being an audiophile for over fifty years. The thing that increased my enjoyment of audio more than anything was moving to tube amplification. The enjoyment level is simply so much higher it is incredible. I no longer sit analyzing how deeply into the soundstage I can hear, if I can hear the bassist move his foot… but get lost in the musical experience. Go tubes.

One of the most amazing experiences I have had was with a set of Sound Labs Millennial speakers with a Viva set amp (flee power… a few watts). Typically, you want hundreds of watts and massive current. The emotional connection was incredible. While I would not put these together… it showed one end of the spectrum… all emotion / musicality… and showed how highly detailed ss systems can strip the music and emotion from the recordings.

Go tubes.

Silver Luna by Fezz Audio 35 Watts w/ El 34 tubes . Very nice and reliable Get on for 2500 bucks .The Chinese can"t beat that .