Alesis masterlink arrived

Just thought I would post my findings on this recorder.
Though this may be a little early but with the little recording I have done so far have to admit there is no comparison between vinyl and red book cd's. As for the higher resolution it does get a little better.
My next move will be to try connecting the unit with balanced cables, this should make a difference.
Any advice is welcomed.
By the way with the higher resolution what players will support this format, it's 96/24. They call it cd24.
Thanks.
pedrillo
Pedrillo, The Masterlink is an awesome player and alot of fun. I've had mine for a while now. I haven't used the CD24 because I use the Masterlink to record compilations, play in my cars or Esoteric (or rip on PC harddrive for squeeze box) and neither support the CD24. A buddy at work uses the CD24 exclusively (records FM broadcasts) and loves it, though he plays them back only on the Masterlink. I know computers will play back the CD24 (so I am told) and other than the Masterlink, I don't know if any others. I'm curious if one of my Blu-Ry players support it.

I have made a few tweaks to/with the Masterlink, which brought it to a pretty awesome level. I use the MoFi Gold CDr-s, added Walker Audio Valid points, Shunyata Python Vx Alpha power cord, and conected to Benchmark DAC with an AES-EBU cable by Apogee (Wyde-Eye). I thought the sound of the Masterlink Hard drive was pretty awesome but going through the Benchmark-wow! Enjoy it and good luck with it. It is extremely versatile and reading the manual a few times will reap some nice rewards for you.
I go record out of my Ayre K1x preamp via Oritek X-2 interconnects into a Wadia 17 AD converter then XLR digital via Yammamura Millenium digital cable to the digital in on the Masterlink. This is far and away better than simply going analog in on the Masterlink. I get recordings from vinyl that are superiour sounding to most any commercially bought CDs.
Do any of you owners have a feel for how good the Masterlink would be as one's primary CD transport? I.e., is it a good transport sonically and in terms of the user experience (remote, ease of use, responsiveness, etc.)
I used a Masterlink as a transport for a while with great results. However, mine was modified by Paul Weitzel at TRL who uses a Masterlink for mix downs of recordings he makes. According to Paul the analog inputs and outputs are the weak links of this unit. Digital in and out is the way to go.

For $750 Paul will modify a Masterlink and take it to another level altogether.
I bought a modded unit from Balanced Power Technology. It makes phenomenal recordings. I have recorded some of the new very high resolution discs - XRCD24 and K2HD - and they dubs sound even better than the stunning original recordings.

The modded unit I have is a very nice CD player. The hard drive probably sounds a little better than the disc drive, but both sound excellent. I also have a Meridian G08 CD player. The Alesis unit does not have the air and delicacy of the Meridian though.