Bang for the buck

Hi all, I'm looking to get some feedback on great value/sound used speakers for a 14x11.5' room in an apartment. Are there any suggestions from audiosciencereview or your own experience that mate great sound with excellent value on the used market? I recently found a pair of Salk speakers at a good price, but their frequency response is the only measurement graph I can find. Plus, I wonder if a large part of that speaker price is due to the cost of the cabinet and its elaborate finish. I'm looking to put my money towards the music more than the cabinet jewelry finishes. (I'm on a budget <$2k). Thanks for any recommendations 

128x128labguy

@baylinor well said, i understand, thanks.

@yogiboy do you think those Vandersteens will outperform a Salk veracity ht2?? I've heard a vandersteen before and was impressed but I don't remember the model. i can het a desl on a salk songtower or veracity, but I'm not sure that they'll do great with all genres of music and fit my small apartment space, and I listen to just about everything.

A brand new pair of JBL 4309’s are 2k....I bought them for the heck of it in Walnut w/ Blue grills. They still sit idle in sealed boxes. Maybe I’ll get around to listening to them.... some day.

I have never owned a Salk so I can’t give you an answer on that. I have owned Vandersteens  (2c and 3A ) and I recommended that model since you have a small space and a two thousand dollar budget!

@audioguy85 I need your job! I can't imagine havng that kind of cash to drop on something and leaving it in the box.

I bet they sound great, but I suppose it's relative to what you currently are using. [Shrug]

ASR is a good source and a lot can be learned from understanding measurements but not all that is important is measured. How do you measure bass texture and detail? How do you say which kids are more natural if they are both flat because there is a big difference. I think good measurements are just the start of being able to play ball. Now they need to bring all the other stuff too.

I own the JBL 4367 and Revel 228be both of which have been measured on a Klippel and posted to ASR. Both are flat on axis and have even drop off as they widen but they could not sound more different. The JBL is so much more dynamic and detailed top to bottom. There is almost no comparison to be made and that is in the same room/system on a popper amp.

For you speaker question I would maybe try JBL 580s. They will be way under you price when on sale. JBL sells them direct at 50% off a lot of times and they have a 60 day trial period. They measure very well and perform above their price range. They lack some detail and dynamics in absolute terms.

i have not heard it personally but arendal speakers are getting good reviews and are “lower” cost they might have something in your price range