Modifying Crossovers

I just read a post about changing resistors and caps in the new Borresen X3 speakers. I am curious why there is interest in changing the components in a brand new speaker. I also am curious if it would make them better than why didn’t the designers put a better component in the first place. Just a thought and scratching my head. Have a great day.

falmgren

OP:

Honestly wouldn't do this with any high end speaker, but if you are curious I highly encourage you to build your own speakers and play with parts.  That's relatively inexpensive, and you aren't destroying anything you want to sell later. :)

It's also a great deal of fun and frankly we need more builders in these forums to keep the disinformation at bay.

Best,

E

I apologize to the audiophile gods.   Nobody can know more than someone who has hung up a shingle and become an OEM.

You can make a high end speaker sound better with better capacitors and resistors, but you have to experiment with different brand caps and resistors, before you figure out what brand will sound better than the ones the speakers came with.

@invalid Look at my photo above and there are some very good suggestions.

While many upgrade the capacitors, and resistors aren’t expensive to upgrade, inductors are often neglected, that is, not upgraded to a level consistent with the capacitors, where most put their money. I went with hand wound beeswax foil inductors.

I kept all the same values as the OEM designer, who is excellent.

Jerry

thanks for the feedback. I think it is interesting that an $11k speaker needs modification.