If you had to narrow your choices to 4 - 5 speakers

To listen to at the upcoming Axpona, in the 10 - 20k range driven by a great solid state amp which ones would you search for? Yes understand listening conditions and room setups can make or break a system but just trying to narrow some choices. Thank you.

rsf507

Treehaus speakers.....! *LOL*

Never thought of using the live edge locust slabs I've got laying about here...

We typically make benches with them.  Rubina is very heavy, and laughs at carbide bits, saw blades....even chain saws....

Subject to checking...but it's a thought.....

"Thermionic tubes".....? *G*  Sounds like Formula E tech to me.... ;)

Attended the Florida Audio Expo in Tampa this February-- while it’s no AXPONA, the number and quality of manufacturers represented was still impressive. There’s actually a number of good threads here on Audiogon with impressions from the show. If you’ve got a spare $230,000 laying about, by all means pick up a pair of the Acora VRCs, they were absolute knockouts, lol.

In the $20k range there are a large number of excellent choices; I think personal preferences, room size/acoustics, type of music most frequently listened to, etc. are important considerations, and I think regardless of the limitations imposed by the lack of ideal room conditions, etc., you will come away from the show with your own list of possible choices.

I’ll approach this a little different than some of the responses above-- looking at value per dollar, these were the speakers that stood out to me:

Q Acoustics Concept 50. Dollar for dollar, the most impressive little floor stander I’ve heard. Seriously, I went back to this room several times just to recheck my impression. These diminutive, $3000/pair speakers were to me one of the stars of the show. Easily matched or exceeded sound quality of speakers 5 times their price. Most definitely at least worth a look. If you’re a basshead, you’ll need a couple of good subs to go with them, but for a small to medium sized room, I think they’ll stand surprisingly well on their own.

MoFi Electronics Sourcepoint 10. Another seriously good speaker for not a lot of $. About $4500/pair with stands.

Eminent Technology DSP Open Baffle-- get an entire setup for $15k

Volti Razz - if you’re "horn-y"

Soundfield Audio Monitor 1-- lots of compliments for a $2200 monitor, with surprisingly good bass.

On the more expensive, but still within reach of your $20k cap:

Joseph Audio Pulsar

Monitor Audio Platinum 300series

List prices a little above $20k, but still in the ballpark:

Focal Sopra #3

Sonus Faber Amati Tradition

Von Schweikert Endeavor SE-- these were probably my favorite "achievable" speaker (i.e. not 6 figures $$$). Outstanding musicality. I just loved the sound of these.

You might also consider looking at some used options-- I found some Wilson Watt/Puppy 8’s in almost unused condition for $7,200. I know lots of people like to bash on Wilsons, and I’d probably join them if I had to pay $28,000 for them, but for $7k, they are absolutely awesome.

As I’m turning 80 this year and have had my loudspeakers for about 25 years and not very happy with them I’m trying to find my bucket list loudspeaker. The price should be below $30k. I was planning to attend Axpona but decided not too because several top brands were missing. I’m very disappointed in the dealerships selling audio as well as the reviews of equipment. There are not enough dealers and they don’t help much as they don’t carry enough choices and I feel I’m being pigeon holed into what they have. 
I’m disgusted with it all. 

i will speak to mine, which is what actual speakers i have kept in the fold after so many years in this pursuit

maggies

proac

quad esl

spendor

and the latest, wonderful addition -- laufer notes

(all of the above with pair of rel’s)