Is soundstage DEPTH a myth?

Ok, help me out fellas. Is it a myth or what?

I’m a good listener, I listen deep into the music, and I feel like I have good ears. But I can’t confirm that I can hear soundstage depth. I can hear 1 instrument is louder, but this doesn’t help me to tell if something is more forward or more behind. Even in real life and 2 people are talking, I can’t honestly say I know which one is in front.

The one behind will sound less loud, but is that all there is to soundstage depth? I think the answer I’m looking for has to do with something I read recently. Something about depth exist only in the center in most system, the good systems has depth all around the soundstage.

128x128samureyex

@mihorn 

Good post.

I'd like to also add that the way modern recordings are made, ie assembled together rather than the capturing of a musical event in real time, is not going to help create any convincing impression of soundstage depth either.

The easiest way to discern depth if you’re listening to rock or jazz, IMHO, is to listen to the drums and the vocalist or lead instrument. They are often both located in the center of the soundstage and with a little practice you can hear that the drums on some recordings sound further back than the lead. Once you hear that you’ll know what you’re listening for and it will be easier to hear depth.

I listen to Classical.  I define depth as when I can clearly tell the percussion are located to the back and stage left, the brass to the back and stage right, and if the conductor divides the violins I can easily discern that.  Also if one gets the feelings of the spaciousness of a concert hall, as many orchestral recordings are now live

+1 @mahler123

On the cut, ’My Name is Robert Neville’ from the original movie soundtrack, "I am Legend", the opening trumpet sounds like it’s coming from my neighbor’s house across the street - to the right of center.*   With lesser quality cabling and/or removing the power conditioner, I can make the sound stage flat as a pancake - without changing anything else.

_ _ _ _ _ 

Similar but not as deep with: 'Fanfare for the Common Man' - Minnesota Orchestra - Copland.