What's up with lousy bass on classic rock recordings?

Few examples: ACDC Back In Black, Van Halen 1, Boston (1), WHO's Next, Def Leopard Pyromania. 

The low end is almost non-existent. Digital and vinyl. 

It's not my system, I listen to a lot of jazz, other classics like Janis Ian Breaking Silence - bass is rich, full, has slam when appropriate.

Compression? Or were the low frequencies never there? Pretty disappointing. 

macg19

The Who “Live at Leeds” is a terrific recording (same for Live at Hull and Isle of Wight).

VH III has fine sonics.

In original recordings the bass is balanced within the mix in most cases. I think those who don't hear enough bass have gotten used to today's remasters with their loud brickwalled low-end. There's lots of bass now but it lacks the detail and definition of original recordings.

Bass takes up a lot of room on a vinyl record, reducing play time. Digital media doesn't suffer from that issue. 

Responding to the comments so far...

I've listened to most of my rock examples on vinyl and digital. VH 1 was a digital remaster (Qobuz).

The vinyl examples are not remasters, but also not original pressings. Another example is a MOFI Master of the Cars (debut album) - sounds really nice but bass is just OK - tight and detailed but not room-filling if that makes sense.

Breaking Silence (I have a relatively new pressing of the 2012 re-issue but it was originally recorded in 1992) - was a very well recorded session and the lower end sounds full, rich and detailed.

Many old Jazz recordings, the double bass often sounds rich and full.

To clarify, I'm not saying there is no bass, I guess they are just not leveraging my subs as much. 

The system is dialed in, or I wouldn't be getting such a full range response with other recordings, and the bass is not bloated or boomy - I hate that.

I will try turning up the crossover a couple of clicks and having another listen though.

The Who “Live at Leeds” is a terrific recording (same for Live at Hull and Isle of Wight).

VH III has fine sonics.

I'll give these a try, thanks for the suggestions.