Small, Effective Subwoofers?

In a recent speaker thread that I started there were lots of suggestions of adding a couple of subwoofers to my system. As with my speakers (Legacy Signature SEs) I have little room to place subwoofers They will need to go directly to the left or directly to the right of the main speakers. To the left the maximum height would be 12". 12’ would be great on the outside as well, but I could squeeze a slightly bigger unit in there. Would two 12" subs be sufficient here, or would they be too small for this set up?

If 12’ is OK, do you all have any reasonably priced suggestions as did @nevada_matt withe his 2-10 offering from Tekton. I would have never found those on my own, thanks Matt!

I would be super open to some used subs as a cost savings measure here.

128x128navyachts

The SVS 3000 Micro has been getting good reviews and is 10.9" high.

Not to be pedantic, but you do know? Subs often are used to help fill bass nulls, and the absolute worst placement for that is adjacent to the main speakers.

I had a little martin logan downfiring sub I gave to my nephew.. I think it was either an 8 or a 10”, but that thing sounds good also… self powered.. think it was 10 or 12 inches high..  i just cannot remember the model.. 

If you really like your speakers, but aren’t liking the bass, then small ported subs would likely give you the type of bass that you are looking for.

My speakers pretty much mimic your speakers 3dB down point for bass. I really like the high level input. People argue against omitting the upper limiting crossover, but for our speakers this isn’t an issue. My RELs are fast and provide a tight low end. I’ve got the crossover set very low, so the main speakers supply most of the bass. Wilson designed my speaker’s crossover, and I didn’t want to interfere with their design by adding a high level crossover on the subs.

That said, my listing room is over a two car garage, and the bass was crazy to subdue, so I had to work at placing a number of bass traps, heavy carpet with heavy pad and a large couch. I’m listening to vinyl so I also needed to add a super heavy equipment stand, and all this combine to subdue the room interaction caused by these additional subwoofers.