Shipping a turntable with plinth from England to USA

Hi!

I am considering purchasing a used Garrard turntable with a heavy plinth from a gentleman in England.  He is "throwing in" an amp to go with it.  The two packages will weigh about 75 lbs.  He has never shipped anything that weighs this much to the USA before.  He is at the beginning on his end looking into this.  

Any advice on a moderately inexpensive way to do this?

He and I have already discussing the issue of the gear being packaged safely for its trip to the USA.

Thanks!

128x128rpppr

Pay extra for split packaging and use DHL. When it comes to International shipping, DHL is the best. I have used them from China, Japan, Germany and England, two days flat to my door in Texas.

FedEx and UPS - your package is going to sit in customs for 2-4 days and then you will be ‘surprised’ by a custom & duties surcharges invoice based on declared value in the mail.

Thanks for the advice.

So, I am looking for a Garrard 301.  I might focus on a USA purchase.  So far the shipping looks pricy.  Especially for a heavy plinth.

there are many ways to ship it, DHL is generally on the cheaper end. Shipping a container is around $3K, imagine how many of your box it would fit and what would the cost break down to. If you want it by air, yes, more expensive but still under a $ 1000. At that price you could buy an off-season plane ticket and bring it yourself.

Not a good idea. Turntables are delicate devices and easily damaged. International shipping is notoriously rough. There are a bazillion turntables to choose from in this country. Patience is a virtue, a good one will come along. Also, stay away from idler wheel turntables. If they do not rumble when new it is only a matter of time before they do. Stick to belt or direct drive.

I saw a Brinkmann Bardo last weekend. What a beautiful turntable. Excellent build quality!