AudioQuest vs Cardas XLR

Hello all,

Looking to upgrade my interconnects from my McIntosh C2700 to MC611 monoblocks. I am very interested in AQ Tbirds or Firebirds vs. Cardas Clear Beyond XLRs. I want an end-game cable and would appreciate some feedback. I'm open to any additional suggestions. I do enjoy the prodigious bass/midbass and the smooth midrange that the combo provides. It's a little light on top, though (as McIntosh is). I think Cardas and AQ will preserve my wishes, but is there anything out there that will keep my midrange/mid-bass/bass and improve upon the highs? I think I may be asking for too much, though! I would be very grateful for some direction. 

128x128jeffreyw

Well, in my opinion, a good cable should just transmit the information without changing the sound quality. Which is why I use AQ. 

The newest models by Garth Powell are, once again-IMO, the best AQ has ever made. I heard them at Audioconnection, and both my friend and myself noticed a distinct improvement in sound quality. I sounded so good, I ended up buying the William Tell Zero's and Bass for my systems. I also use the AQ interconnects between components, as well as for my ethernet.

As I have no experience with MacIntosh equipment, I can't say for sure it will be a good move for you. But, a good dealer, like John Rutan at Audioconnection, should be able to loan you a set to see if they do.

Bob

I’m running balanced Earth interconnects with Aurender, Audionet and MacIntosh, which is a good bit below what you are looking for. What I can say is that I upgraded via purchasing from a major internet vendor at 20% off retail and a no questions asked 60 day return policy. They are owned by the same guy that owns the music outfit that recently got itself into digital/analog hot water.  They carry both Cardas and Audioquest.  My sales person was very helpful/knowledgeable as I drained my bank account.   Good luck.

@jeffreyw - for alternate cables brands post the same question on the Hijiri thread

Hijiri Thread

Hijiri seems to be getting a lot of attention from forum members that have a wealth of cable knowledge - I trust their opinions

I'm sure someone will have compared all three brands 

Regards - Steve

but is there anything out there that will keep my midrange/mid-bass/bass and improve upon the highs? 

So, I have the Acoustic Zen Silver Reference ll interconnects and they offer the sound characteristics you’re looking for.  They won’t shortchange you in the bass or mids, which is surprising for mostly silver interconnects, but they will likely give just a bit more in the highs but without going too far and never harsh sounding.  What may be even better, and much cheaper because they’re used, is this used pair of AZ Absolute Silver interconnects that were at the top of the AZ line and at $750 are less than half their $2000 original MSRP.  My strong recommendation would be to give them a try, and if they don’t blow you away just turn around and sell them for little/no loss as AZ cables have a very fluid used market and are always in demand.  Hey, if they work for you you’ll save a bundle of $$$ with very little risk involved.  Best of luck. 

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649955854-acoustic-zen-absolute-silver-one-meter-xlr/

I have Cardas clear beyond interconnects in my system with C53 and 611’s and love them. Audioquest are made in China so that’s a deal breaker for me.