Kuzma Stabi R mat?

Just received my new Stabi R.  It is a very nicely built table and sounds more present and dynamic than my previous setup.  I am currently using a Etna SL on a Kuzma 4P9 on the right wing.  Initial impressions are that this is a synergistic group (cartridge/arm/table) and allows deep information retrieval. 

This is my first Kuzma table.  In the past I used various turntable mats until I settled on the sound of the Achromat.  The Kuzma looks engineered to use its own integral mat (which is cushioned) and not an aftermarket addition.  Just wondering if any other Kuzma users out there use a specific matt?  I am inclined to use no matt at all given the table surface seems designed to do just that.  I have also never had a spindle with threads for a screw down record clamp. I have the heavier HRS record weight which did nice things with my previous table in combination with the achromat.  Any one using the screw clamp with their Kuzma? 

128x128karl_desch

@sbank How is the Audiomods arm treating you these days?

@karl_desch I still am enjoying it along with the Sota Nova VI vacuum version and Dynavector XX2MkII. I'd send it to Jeff for the latest update, but don't want to deal with a trip across the pond & back. I appreciate every day. the obvious care you gave it. Until I am in a position to consider a 4Point9, Schroeder, etc. I'll be keeping it.

Cheers,

Spencer

Agree with you @tomic601. Thom will be testing out a Kuzma reflex clamp in a couple weeks. I’m sure he will let me know what he hears.  

I should also be getting a Car 50 from a friend to demo. That should also be interesting.

@sbank Glad you are enjoying the Audiomods. There are tangible, audible improvements to be had with a 4Point but that Audiomods arm lets plenty of information through and is a joy to use.  Upgrade in due time.

@karl_desch I've heard the CAR-50 cartridge many times at a dealers but recently he got in 2 different MSL cartridges that just blew me away. The Gold Sig and Platinum Sig. To be honest I found the Gold the more musical cartridge. Yes slightly more than the CAR-50 but if and it's a big if I'd save up for the MSL. Just a thought.

Hi All,

For reasons that escape me, I haven’t picked up Kuzma’s reflex clamp, but one is arriving shortly. I think it has something to do with being in "recovery" mode from handling our 6+ pound Anvil weight over a decade ago.  Scroll to the bottom of our "Museum" page for a view of that beast:

The first time I played Kuzma’s turntables (both Stabi S and R), I was surprised at how effective Franc’s choice of mat material was. It’s remarkably close to our Carbon Fiber TPI top plates on our turntables, and in all modesty, I think we set a high bar in that regard.

Clamps and weights are funny beasts, and you never know how they’ll interact with your rig. While I agree with most of Franc’s turntable build philosophy, I’m equally prepared to be pleasantly surprised as I am to be disappointed.

... Thom @ Galibier

50/50 shot at sonic satisfaction in the high end sauce of science / sorcery / soup is good work if you can secure it… ( that’s 8 ).

I have been very pleased w my CAR-40, probably should have stretched into the -50…. Etna was unobtanium a few months back…. I think at levels being discussed, it’s MUCH more about the system ( and setup ) Isolation > Power > RFI > Cables > ( TT + Cart + Arm ) > Phono Pre….. Very rarely do we see extensive two variable changes executed and evaluated ( e.g. cartridge + setup ).

Best to all in the quest, the shared quest along different roads…