Discuss The Viv Lab Rigid Arm

I am trying to do my due diligence about this arm. I am just having a hard time getting my head around this idea of zero overhang and no offset. Does this arm really work the way it is reported to do?

neonknight

@mijostyn 

You are quite correct that many people including a lot here allow their brains to fool them about what they are hearing.  That is of course because their brains are far more complex than mere hearing machines and do not accurately report the sound they are listening to.

This is why I took the handle CLEARTHINKER in part in the hope of explaining this to those people.

I think I am pleased not quite to be a true audiophile within your definition.  I changed my pre-amp and phono amp in 2020 and I sometimes buy a new cartridge (usually high-end Ortofon if something interesting is announced - must be flea-weight mass for the ultra lightweight Aeroarm).  But my system is pretty much in a steady state now and I love it the way it is.  Anyway, Clearthinker points out that technological changes are not always sound quality advances.

Referring to yourself in the third person is a bad sign. Why didn’t you just announce your superiority from the get-go? Would have curtailed the needless debates. This site might then have been renamed “Clearthinker Forum”. 

Dear @intactaudio  : I think that I did not explain very well on that " bs " about zenith and it's not that be not important the real issue is that no kind of alignment or underhung/overhung tonearm design are the culprit about but the cartridge manufacturer.

We have no single control of what a cartridge manufacturer does and if you buy a cartridge with a way off zenith then return to the manufacturer.

We can't try to " solve " all errors down there, it's if like if you found out a mistake in the LP recording: you can't fix it. The recprding proccess is out of your control same with any audio tem where something is " wrong " and if really is wrong responsability to fix it/support you is the manufacturer.

I can't fix all errors in cartridge/tonearm alignments because even I made time to time " errors/mistakes " about. What I try is to understand what is happening down there at the stylus tip and after that take care for the cartridge/tonearm alignment be as accurated as I can accurated as permit my knowledge levels and alignment tools and that's all.

So, zenith is not my responsability and if I really can't fix why to be anal about:

""" Incorrect Zenith Angle on Cartridges, or incorrect coil angle at the end of the cantilever.

Zenith angle refers to the angle in which the diamond is glued onto the cantilever.  Sometimes it is not perfectly straight, it actually happens quite frequently.  Or the coil at the end of the cartridge may not be mounted perpendicular to the stylus.

If there is an inherent imbalance with the cartridge or zenith angle errors  it is a cartridge problem.  ""

Löfgren, Baerwald, Stevenson and the like are away from that issue no matters what.

If you or other gentleman already have an algoritm to fix it then we need all to know it.

Again, yes is important that zenith.

R.

All I can say is that people are entitled to like what they want but then they are not true audiophiles.

An amazing remark. The claim is apparently that the only true audiophiles are those who like what @mijostyn likes, and who change their minds when @mijostyn changes his. Most odd.

@cleeds , there is a distinct difference between a music lover an an audiophile. You can be both. @clearthinker is a music lover. He has his system at the level satisfactory for that enjoyment. @lewm is an audiophile. He is always looking for ways to improve his system and knows his way around a soldering iron. He also looks at audio equipment in an academic fashion with an excellent understanding of the sciences. Then there is everyone else for which I do not have a description.