recommendation of amps

Just looking for a little guidance. Starting to look for an AMP.  Most likely solid state. I listen to R&R only, high 80's low 90's    Room 13x14 bathroom to one side hallway to another, normal furnishings, wood floors.  Speakers, Fritz carbon 7se bookshelf, SVS SB3000 Sub, Currently Peachtree amp 500 running system (not Bad)  Benchmark Dac 3B and LA-4 Benchmark Line Amp, Audiolab 6000 CD Transport, Everything Balanced, with the exception of the Transport. Stream Qobuz also. System sounds really good. Just looking for a TOP SHELF AMP.  Budget maybe 6-7 k new or used, (Less preferred)  Prefer new with warranty???  Have a ATI AMP 6002 in main system, in another room, much bigger room, and kicks ass, in every regard. Would like something different (maybe)  Current set up feels a little neutral, and analytical,   maybe looking for something a little warmer.  Have been looking at a used Pass Labs 250.8  for example     Maybe a little overkill though? Always a little nervous over tubes (scared even) Afraid of NOT ENOUGH JUICE to listen at my levels.  Very open to your suggestions. Thanks as always     Robert TN

robshaw

@robshaw Have you played with the DAC 3B gain settings? I found the 10db reduction on the XLR out to sound more relaxed and natural than the default 0db. This was with DAC 3 HGC in my system.
Just a thought since you mentioned analytical sound.

As far as amps are concerned, why not try Benchmark? You will at least eliminate any synergy concerns with your preamp.

As to Pass amps, either the X250.8 or even the XA30.8 would be fine in that room. Your speakers are 8ohm, 88db. Easy to drive. You don’t need quantity you need quality when it comes to watts. A good Class A amp like the 30.8 may actually be a better fit for the type of music you’re listening to.

I also agree with the Benchmark amp. Try just 1, then if the clipping lights go off get another to mono them. Plenty of power in mono. More than the Pass Labe you are looking at.