Did you ever buy too much bass?

I talk a lot about bass and integration of subwoofers in a system and I realized that I need to hear more about the experiences auidphiles have when they go buy speakers and put them in a room.  Did you look at specs?  Did you audition in the home?  Did you end up with too little or too much bass compared to what you were expecting??

erik_squires

+1 @rayd 

Multiple subs allow one to turn the overall sub gain way down (reducing excursion/distortion).
They also help to completely mitigate room modes (as long as the subs are not co-located or stacked)

This typically results in the type of bass response you describe……

fun stuff!

@erik_squires 

Lol, The funny thing was the landlords lived right below me. They knew something was going on because they could feel the base, but without their hearing aids they couldn’t figure it out. I blew a few fuses in my apartment, but what I didn’t know until later was the lights in the rest of the four family building were keeping the beat as well! 

Rock n Roll

Too much bass? Absolutely.

Every new car I've purchased in the past 15 years or so with "premium" sound systems (Land Rover, Lincoln, BMW, Volvo, Nissan, Toyota, VW) has had horrible, boomy bass. The H/K stereo in our current X5 seems to have less of that problem, thankfully.

Oh, you meant home stereo?

Nope, no bass issues with any of our three systems thanks to careful speaker placement and bass-friendly rooms.

@tomcarr 

My best experiences have been with "middle-of-the-road" sound systems.  The Bose in the Audi and JBL in my current Toyota are probably the least offensive sound systems I've heard in premium cars.  The B&O option in the Audi hurt my ears.