Why are there so many wooden box speakers out there?

I understand that wood is cheap and a box is easier to make than a sphere but when the speaker companies charge tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars for their speakers, shouldnt consumers expect more than just a typical box? Are consumers being duped?

Back in the 70’s a speaker engineer found that a sphere was best for a speaker. A square box was the worst and a rectangular box was marginally better.

The speaker engineers have surely known about this research so why has it been ignored?

Cabasse is the only company doing spheres. Should wooden boxes be made illegal

kenjit

There are a handful of users on here that I would love to ignore, and never see another post or reply from them, ever.

Kenjit is one of them.

I think it has to do with the natural tone from wood, why is it most musical instrument are made from wood and sound so great.

I think it has to do with the natural tone from wood, why is it most musical instrument are made from wood and sound so great.

Wood used for musical instruments, and wood used for speaker enclosures serve a completely different purpose.

With musical instruments, the wood is supposed to resonate and become part of the sound.

Speaker enclosures, no matter what they are made of, are supposed to be as acoustically inert as possible. 

Scientists have spent centuries trying to reproduce the signature sound the wood of a Stradivarius violin makes.

Scientist and engineers have spent decades trying to get speaker enclosures to not have any sound.

Make a violin out of, say, constrained layer damped wood, and it would sound horrible. Make a speaker out of highly resonant wood that is poorly damped, and it would sound horrible.

What did you think they were going to use, a high quality cabinet that moves the back waves away from the drivers ( we don't want to hear the back waves do we ) then with the waves moving toward the rear to a material that will covert the energy of the sound waves to a vibrational energy.  So what would be a good material to do that. you might ask. Well it turns out carbon fiber resonates at a very high frequency. Those high rates of vibration do create heat. Yes lets turn that rear wave energy into heat. Those little molecules in that fiber are just jumping all around. 

What does this all mean. Take a nice wine glass and ping. Makes a ringing sound. The just touch it your finger and it is easy to stop the vibration. Works well in a composition setting with carbon fiber and even light foam, almost like an air space. 

Well my head is going to explode so enough for now. 

@sounds_real_audio 

I completely concur with your conclusions. Spheres are the correct shapes to be used. Boxes are only for convenience not for sound quality. Andrew Jones has used something that is faceted so he has clearly applied my theories. But unfortunately he couldnt do a sphere as it is not easy to do a wooden sphere. 

If Magico could lower their prices down by about 90% then I think that would even the score. That would enable manufacturers to produce spheres at reasonable prices.