New MOFI speaker (Andrew Jones)

Here is some info on the new MOFI/Jones speaker:

128x128mofimadness

Jay is a human being and thus of course has flaws, but IMHO at least he does not seem disingenuous. His systems, while not to everyone's tastes, certainly contain state of the art components. He has more direct experience with uber high end gear in his own system than anyone else I know of, so when he shares an opinion of Boulder gear, for example, I have no reason to doubt what he says. With that being said, I thought he made an error in judgement denigrating the SP 10s in that YouTube video without having had them in his system, and told him so in that video's comments section, and judging by his responses to other critical comments, he's getting ready to admit the mistake.

Many here probably know I have Emerald Physics 3.4s; Open Baffle, 12" concentric with 1" polyester tweeter, outboard XOs. I was shocked when I received them as the XO/speaker jumper wire was garbage, AND, not long enough to get them off the bases, which vibrate like crazy. I immediately upgraded the jumper wire, and also would have upgraded the wires in between the speaker binding posts and the drivers, but the small channel they fit into on the back side of the baffle is not DIY friendly, although I could bypass them externally, the binding posts likely present a problem. I have seen many of the EP OB speakers for sale, alas, their supplied photos always show the XOs on the bases, and the garbage jumper wire. I send them all emails about what I did, but never got a thank you, so Im guessing they never bothered to do the simplest upgrades. BTW, the 3.4s and their similar models are terrific buys on the used market

"This  jay character lost all credibility with me when he posted a y-t vid saying pass labs amps were mid-fi.".................. He lost street credibility with me when he became a rep and started selling his wares on his videos..add the fact every videos now starts off with "become a member of his site," I think the top guys are paying 50 a month...

I am not here to support or diss Andrew. But here is my story:

Last month I invited 3 colleagues home, who love audio. One has a bluegrass band (he plays the banjo), the other records and does DJ while the last one is a very young guy (compared to me). These guys were mesmerized by my system because they had never heard a high fidelity system. In fact the band and the youngest guy claimed that they were hearing things almost to the rear. I did not question that. The 1 hour session went on to about 2.5 hours. At the end of it, they told me that while the system was fantastic, they simply could not afford it. Fair enough and I told them it was built over a period of 17 years. As we came out of the listening room into the family area of the basement, they saw the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR which is connected to a Sony 5.1 channel receiver, which we use to watch movies or the kids play games on TV.

Now this system impressed the band guy so much that he went home and started searching for these. Unfortunately they are not made anymore and the rare ones are fetching $500. He asked me for recommendation, based on a budget. There was no way that anyone of us could go reviewing a speaker. But I recommended him the Andrew Jones designed ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2. These were on sale for Thanksgiving and he bought the Walnut ones from Music Direct. They arrived last Monday at his place and he used his vintage 1980s Marantz receiver (Japanese made) with some cheap speaker wire that he already had. Even with this combination he was BLOWN AWAY with what he heard. This is his most expensive hi-fi purchase. The worst part is - he is currently using the "headphone out" from the projector as input to the Marantz. So today I carried my Auris bluMe bluetooth receiver, that he can connect using RCAs. Will wait to hear back from him.

Point is - Andrew Jones designs are pretty good. This forum is filled with folks having mega $$$ speakers (including me). We are trying to judge cheaper designs and compare them to the $$$ ones. To the folks on this forum a $1700 speaker might be a hype. But to the non-audiophiles even a $399 speaker is a hype. Why? Because their previous system is a all-in-one Walmart/Target system. We can do more justice to this hobby by directing the younger generation to start with cheaper loudspeakers. Eventually they will move into the high end category.