Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

halifax

Thank You for initial impressions and thoughts on the CS 2.4 loudspeaker. Nice score at $1K. Mr. Rob Gillum will have those speakers singing again in full range soon.

Besides the 3.5 speaker, the CS 2.4 is (very) well annotated here in this thread.

Well documented as well. Take the time to read through and you will be rewarded.

B.A.T. is a good match, must be set up properly. CODA (Pass Labs) is a sonic match too. Your Ears do not deceive. The CS 2.4 is a special loudspeaker. I can still remember my 1st demo.

Happy Listening!

In my experience what made the biggest difference driving my CS 3.7s is going from class A/B to class A amp.

I had a Gryphon Diablo 300 before and replaced it by a Vitus SIA-025 Mk2, the difference is really huge in terms of grip and musicality.

oblgny - there is a set of CS3.5 with the eq at College Hifi in Chattanooga. I listened to them last week with a Mac amp, the eq was not hooked up but I will try go try to hear them again with the eq just out of curiosity. They sounded great, very neutral and clean across the entire sound spectrum.

Jazzman7 - I am using the Legacy Audio High Current Amplifier by Coda. It is 220wpc @ 8ohm and 380 wpc @ 4ohm. Coda branded amps don't show up very often and are pricey. They show up on ebay sometimes for $800-900. Other amps I tried with the 1.6 were the bryston 4b, butler, classe dr-9, musical fidelity a3cr, jaton operetta and conrad johnson mf2300A. The conrad and coda were my favorites.

Here is an interior shot of the coda

https://imgur.com/B1gj0LTl.jpg

I opened up the 2.4 speaker to remove the tweeter/midrange which I though was broken. It turns out the white lead was disconnected. I tested with a multimeter across the terminals and it got a 2.8-3 ohm reading, which seemed good so I resoldered it and also used a q-tip to push out a divot in in the tweeter dome. The speaker sounds great now, I am pretty exited and I will post some more comments this evening, I did notice you can tell when one speaker has the grill on and the other doesn’t.

I was reading through the tread and there are a lot of posts on upgraded crossovers, is there any particular post which has a summary of which parts need to be upgraded due to age and which parts are the best for sq? Are there completed crossovers or kits that can be purchased?

halifax

Do you live in the Chattanooga area? Very cool that you found the culprit (white lead disconnected).

That is quite a list of Power amps tested against your speakers. All solid performers. 2nd- Conrad Johnson.  We have quite a few DIY'ers here that upgraded the XO for model CS 2.4. Take your time to read through the material. Feel free to contact these guys for further inquiry. Have fun massaging those 2.4 speakers into your room and system.

Happy Listening!