Sound quality of Roon

I am considering trying Roon.  I have been using my Bluesound Node but I am going to upgrade as I do enjoy streaming more and more using Tidal.  It is quite an investment to get a NUC or Nucleus and then have a separate tablet to control it all.

But apart from the cost I have read some people say Roon does not sound good.  Their streamer by blah blah sounds better.  Is this true?  For all that is required to use Roon, the hardware, the subscription and all, would Roon be popular if it made digital streaming sound bad?

I would love to hear people who have experience comment on this.  There is info on the Roon Labs discussion site but as you can imagine it is saying this is BS Roon sounds great.  I guess Roon as a software also has had updates, so maybe this is a thing that might have been true in the past?  

troidelover1499

@fastfreight ​​​​@wsrrsw I switched switches myself (pun intended). Went from an EtherRegen powered by a Farad Super3 LPS to a Synergistic Research Ethernet Switch UEF and there was a notable improvement in difference of the palpability, smoothness, and body of the digital signal.

Hey @wsrrsw ​​​​@blisshifi !  We should visit each other!  I've gone big in most areas, but limited my switch (ahem so far) to the Silent Angel Bonn 8. I power it off the 'other rail' of my  HDPlex (the other rail powers my Nucleus+).  I have seen and read on the Synergistic Switch.  I probably would be all over it, but I don't have anything SR.  I had not even heard of the M12 switch.  I went all in on the custom Power supply by Sean Jacobs for my Auralic streamer, and was not disappointed!

I have two systems.   In the 'better' one, (Aries G2.1 with custom power supply to stand alone Tambaqui, I found I did not need the EtherRegen so much in front of the Muon.  Upstairs, where I have ethernet input to Makua Preamp with internal Tambaqui and ethernet bridge (no separate streamer) I find the inclusion of an EtherRegen in front of the Muon beneficial.  I think it makes sense that the better streamer with better PSupply was fine without Ether Regen and OK with the Muon alone.

@blisshifi I see from your awesome system you are all in on Synergistic Research. They make great stuff for sure. Hope they send you a Christmas card.

For moi self I have determined rightly or wrongly that using a switch and a filter is too much in the feed. Pick one. Not all ethernet set ups will allow for this. In a closet upstairs I have an enterprise (Ubiquity) switch feeding into the wall a cat five runs and one run to my "stereo closet" and then from the closet wall cat five into the EtherRegen. The EtherRegen will get moved to a whole house system (if that helps that low-mid fi system ??). I'm still on the fence as to what PSU will power the M12.

@fastfreight I'm in NoCal

Good Morning @wsrrsw ,

Speaking With ?Rich at Network Acoustics, he said many find the Ether Regen is not needed in front of the Muon Filter.  He said try it, but that many found that a simple switch (not fancy) in front of the filter was good.  I need the switch at my computer / modem / Nucleus / ethernet out to my stereo's and TV's and wifi system.  I use the modem ports for some of it and I use the SA Bonn 8 for the audio part.  Tell me what you like about the M12?  By removing the Ether Regen from my main system, I lost the extra A port that went to my Apple TV (old Samsung does not have Apple TV on it) so I may need to add a switch anyway.

My system did not sound as good with the Regen in front of the ENO or Muon filter.  Get a good switch!