Has this happened to you? How can it be stopped?

Well this question is for fun but also kinda serious too.

Have you felt the urger to buy a vintage piece of audio gear when you really didn’t need it? Have you felt that this is an addiction and how can it be stopped?

I have Marantz 2235 receiver in my office, a Sansui 1000x in my bedroom, a Realistic STA-52b in my spare bedroom and Yamaha RX-V995 in my wifes sewing room and a Yamaha RX-V690 in the garage with various vintage speakers connected to all of them. I already have two complete audio systems in my audio room.

When does the madness stop? My wife tells me I have an audio problem!?!

128x1282psyop

I would think audio gear has gotten better over the years.  It all depends upon your ears.  Many of us experience high frequency loss as we get older.  I would think amplifiers have their own sound and for that matter so do speakers.  I know I have hearing loss in the higher frequencies and I would like to buy new speakers that have brighter more detailed tweeters.  The big question is do you upgrade the amplifier first or the speakers.  I would think to hear optimal sound you would have to upgrade both.  I would think as we get older we need to reevaluate our systems and fine tune things to our ears.  I for one would like to upgrade my speakers and amplifier.  However, there is also the wife factor.

Of course there are some exceptions,but most of the time women and high -end audio don't mix. I made one thing clear before the vows.  Never, and I mean never, should the words TURN IT DOWN! ever come out of your mouth.

I had the exact same problem last niight! But my wife is 76 years old, and has Dementia, so I just turned it off and went to sleep. 

Anyone who has lived through the ’vintage’ years has little or no inclination to return. Much better interest matches are available now than being tied to a Japanese design team.

I still have a Yamaha and two Pioneers (garage and shed.) They are utilitarian, that’s all.