New Coincident Frankenstein 300B Stereo Version

Coincident has a new stereo version of the Frankenstein. I currently use Coincident Super Victory IIIs speakers driven by Pass Labs XA30.8. My preamp is EAR Yoshino 868PL.

Logic tells me the Frankenstein Stereo would be a steller match with my speakers. I have never had SET amps in my setup before.

Just wondering if I will be going the SET route, would I lose bass?

Love the Pass XA30.8 but curious about what people call "SET magic".

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

sim_audio_nerd

Loose base is good 

Definitely no loose bass with the Coincident Frankenstein amplifiers. Far from that.

Or by “base” is something else being referenced?

Charles

I have had owned the XA30.8 and I now own Frankenstein IIIs.  It seems to me that most people prefer big boomy bass.  The Frankensteins have plenty of bass if you have the right speakers, but the presentation is not what most people are used to.  It is punchy and articulate rather than boomy and powerful.  I tell most people that the XA was the best amp that I owned.  It was very powerful and very detailed at the same time.  The Frankensteins are so beautifully detailed and have such wonderful midrange and at least on my system, have plenty of bass.  What is boils down to in my opinion is the type of presentation you prefer.  The Pass will certainly be more authoritative, but that's not to say that the Frankensteins are anemic, only different.  To my ears, the Frankensteins are sublime and as much as I love the XA, I could never give up my Frankensteins for it and I can't justify having both.

@tswisla

Well said.

To my ears, the Frankensteins are sublime and as much as I love the XA, I could never give up my Frankensteins for it and I can’t justify having both.

Exactly why I chose the word sublime to describe the overall effect and presentation of the Frankenstein SET amplifier. The Pass XA 30.8 is universally praised as an excellent amplifier and I have zero reason to question that.

No doubt the XA 30.8 offers more power just as my previously mentioned prior 100 watt tube amplifier. So if one feels they need the additional power for their speakers then go that route. I do not miss nor do I need the added power. The Frankenstein is utterly natural sounding. It made the very good 100 watt tube amp by comparison sound more "electronic" in nature.

There is just more musical connection, heart, soul and humanity via the presentation of the Frankenstein reproducing recorded music. It makes other otherwise terrific amplifiers sound relatively speaking artificial. The critical midrange is simply wonderful yet the upper and lower frequencies are also presented in excellent fashion.

No amplifier will ever be perfect and one has to choose their compromises. If your listening habits can be easily satisfied with lower power then the Frankenstein is very difficult to surpass in terms of an exceptionally natural and utterly transparent amplifying source.

Charles