Why Is Hi Fi Gear So Darn Expensive?

Why Is Hi-Fi Gear So Darn Expensive?! - The Absolute Sound

Interesting read.

"I recently heard a small 2-way stand mount speaker at a show. The sound was excellent. The product was priced at $50,000 or thereabouts, per pair. Allowing for distribution and marketing leaves about $25,000."

$25000 for distribution and marketing? Really? That much more for this than a similar product at 1/10th the cost?

I don’t doubt the marketing cost per unit could be much higher with boutique products. Makes sense. Is the cat is out of the bag regarding the value proposition of boutique products?

How about fancy fuses marketed for free here that cost practically nothing to ship? Oh my!

I guess there are "excellent" expensive boutique products and others that offer value everywhere. Hifi not unique. Take your pick! Live and learn!

The article also chalks up people’s reactions to high-fi prices to emotion. What about the sound they hear? Real or emotionally distorted? What would Mr. Spock think about that? I know he likes music...he plays a harp!

128x128mapman

If the market wants something, they will pay-pretty simple. The last 2 years certainly didn't help.

It's not food, gas or necessity, so why should anyone complain?

It is what it is.

Retail markup is pretty insane from a consumer standpoint. I think a few here know what the dealer costs are on product. Consequently, a dealer generally has their share of challenges.

Mr. Spock would find Agon and its participants HIGHLY illogical.

@mapman  You have probably have been interested in audio longer then myself. I got started in High School early 1980's even had a pair of Ohm(you worship) Walsh 2's that cost around $700(which was expensive in 1982) not bad for a 17 year old kid! Mark Levinson/conrad-johnson/ARC/Futterman and top level Infinity's were all priced at the level of a small car. My point is nothing has changed(cost) except we now have the ability to tweek are systems with cables/vibration control/room acoustics and power conditioning/regenerating. I see this as a positive not negative(snake oil) as some see because there not willing to put the effort/time or money into fine tuning there system. Relating to your question you know these are extreme examples. A world class standmount speaker can be had new for under 5K(Aerial 5T) or a near SOTA 2nd hand power amp like a Krell evo-402e/302e for 5k-6k. IMO Hi-End Audio is better then ever with all the choices we have with new or used gear. No point in being the "Keep Off My Yard" guy when the present and future in HEA is so bright.

If the market wants something, they will pay-pretty simple.

That’s for sure. Emotion plays a big part in what people want.  Marketing is largely about appealing to people's emotions.

@dayglow

I think I mostly agree. I do like cost effective tweaks that work.

I recently bought a $3000 all in one unit that does everything except play the records. Just add speakers. It is...."excellent" sounding!

Also have a small pair of all-in-1 powered speakers. These cost about what your average "high end" power cord would cost. Just add a source. They have output level limits still, being quite small, but other than that in the 12X12 vaulted ceiling lively room they are in...they sound "excellent"! Lots of modern technology and smart engineering went into both of these products.

Walsh 2s were a great score for a 17 year old back then...I had a pair at 21 when they first came out. But the newer models are night and day better these days......40 years of refinement that can be easily heard. I know this because I compared my newer Walshes a/b to my older ones back in 2008 before I traded them in. Those original Walsh 2s were still going strong after 27 years!  But the newer ones had the detail and associated sound characteristics one expects from modern "high end" speakers.  The original Walsh 2s...not so much.

@dayglow

I wonder what those Aerials would cost if they were made in the USA?