Streaming with the Hegel H390

I recently acquired an H390; pairing it with Wilson Sabrinas. I stream directly with the H390. It works seamlessly with all the working parts in one unit. Frankly, I can't imagine getting more for what I spent. 

While the digital setup in the H390 is top notch, I have noticed that many of the reviews of the H390 pairs it with a separate streamer/DAC. So my question is, at what level of upgrade would it be worth the squeeze to just let the H390 be an amp and invest in a separate streamer/DAC?

Thank you for your input.

Gary

gpixels

depends very much how you are sending the source signal to the h390 dac... and alternative streamer/dac setup

Good choice with the Sabrina! My only problem with the onboard streaming/airplay is the airplay implementation is AP 1. Minor thing, but does make a difference. Otherwise the on board DAC is hard to beat.

When we add a stand alone dac we add a power supply and  another pair of coax cables. I tried a project s2 digital with my h360 to get full mqa capability but the h390 already has it.

The DAC in the H390 is good.  I had a 390 briefly and have a 590 I use frequently.  I have had issues with Airplay and it constantly dropping.  I assume you aren't using Airplay.  How are you getting a signal to it currently?

There are much better external DACs that will deliver better staging and will be more detailed.  They are not inexpensive though.  I would put the on-board DAC in the same league as the Chord Qutest or Questyle CMA 12.  Good DACs but you can do better in terms of staging and/or detail. 

A big part is budget and then what do you think might be missing with what you are hearing now?

@verdantaudio 

scott, i think they just released the firmware update for 390 & 590 for roon readiness... (i don't have either anymore so i can't be 100% certain myself, but i have read this on the fb groups for hegel) --- so one doesn't need to fuss with airplay garbage streaming straight into the big hegels