Streaming with the Hegel H390

I recently acquired an H390; pairing it with Wilson Sabrinas. I stream directly with the H390. It works seamlessly with all the working parts in one unit. Frankly, I can't imagine getting more for what I spent. 

While the digital setup in the H390 is top notch, I have noticed that many of the reviews of the H390 pairs it with a separate streamer/DAC. So my question is, at what level of upgrade would it be worth the squeeze to just let the H390 be an amp and invest in a separate streamer/DAC?

Thank you for your input.

Gary

gpixels

When we add a stand alone dac we add a power supply and  another pair of coax cables. I tried a project s2 digital with my h360 to get full mqa capability but the h390 already has it.

The DAC in the H390 is good.  I had a 390 briefly and have a 590 I use frequently.  I have had issues with Airplay and it constantly dropping.  I assume you aren't using Airplay.  How are you getting a signal to it currently?

There are much better external DACs that will deliver better staging and will be more detailed.  They are not inexpensive though.  I would put the on-board DAC in the same league as the Chord Qutest or Questyle CMA 12.  Good DACs but you can do better in terms of staging and/or detail. 

A big part is budget and then what do you think might be missing with what you are hearing now?

@verdantaudio 

scott, i think they just released the firmware update for 390 & 590 for roon readiness... (i don't have either anymore so i can't be 100% certain myself, but i have read this on the fb groups for hegel) --- so one doesn't need to fuss with airplay garbage streaming straight into the big hegels

@jjss49 That would be great.  I know the 190 was Roon ready earlier in the year but couldn't find an update on 390 and 590.  I hope you are right. I am experimenting with two DACs right now (Jadis JS1 MKV and the Playback MPS-6) and am curious how the Hegel will handle these elite DACs vs. the other amps I have around.  Will probably get my 590 out tomorrow for testing.   

The 120 and 190 got the Roon ready update early March, but unfortunately nothing yet for the 390 or 590. Hopefully soon.