Is the Cary SLP-05 still relavant?

Given the history and reviews of this preamp with its ability for tube rolling and its "Ultimate" upgradeability, Where does it stand as a premium offering vs something like the PS Audio BHK? Is it still relevant? It still gets sporadic press, but has fallen out from Stereophile recommended equipment list.
cvman

The SLP05 is the best pre-amp I have heard (has the ultimate upgrade). For me, it beat out several pre-amps, even one that retails for $9k more. It's not only a work of art, it has a sound that is very addictive. Added a NOS Mullard Rectifier and rolled in some NOS Pope 6sn7's...fully end game. So yes, it is relevant, even in 2022. It's one amazing piece of HiFi and for what it costs new with upgrade right now, I consider it a bargain for what it is and offers. 

@stevehuff

Steve I just read your review, so thorough and inciteful. I hope you do a video on the SLP-05.

Loving mine for over a year with a Pass XA-25 and Harbeth SHL5+ speakers.

One thing, the ’05 does have gain control. The two knobs on the right for left / right continuously variable adjustment. It was fairly easy to dial in the best sounding gain including a slight trim to adjust for a minor channel imbalance in my room.

Bingo on the Mullard rectifer, big difference. If you get a chance try a combo of KEN-RAD VT231 in the first 4 positions and a pair of Sylvania 6SN7 GTA 50’s date codes in the two balanced connection tube positions 3 and 6.

A nice balance between old school liquid richness (KR’s) and modern day detail and dynamics (Sylv’s).

BTW definitely continue to use balanced connections for sources and amplifier, the balanced circuitry runs through another set of tubes vs. single ended and the sound stage is more open and spacious in all directions.

Mine is sans the ultimate upgrades and I love the sound so much I am afraid to risk it changing- at all !

peace, Tony

Had my SLP-05 for 2 years. Bought it with all the upgrades because I knew I would eventually make the changes. It came with Electro-Harmonix tubes that are considered average. I rolled in Psvane 6sn7-se "tennis balls". Wow, it sounds great. Comments about the high gain are puzzling. It has gain level adjustment right on the front panel. Once adjusted to your speakers, all is good.

The Cary SLP 05 is a very good sounding preamp.The mid level Supratek 6SN7 preamps like Supratek Sauvignon  are a bit better however.And less than half the price.The difference being you are buying the Supratek direct from the maker and avoiding retail mark-ups.

I looked at Supratek before buying my SLP 05 and there were a number of issues that kept me from ordering one.  

Long lead time like 6 months plus was one, no balanced connections and limited number of inputs were other issues.  

Also the web site had virtually no information to help make a decision.