Is the Cary SLP-05 still relavant?

Given the history and reviews of this preamp with its ability for tube rolling and its "Ultimate" upgradeability, Where does it stand as a premium offering vs something like the PS Audio BHK? Is it still relevant? It still gets sporadic press, but has fallen out from Stereophile recommended equipment list.
cvman

Had my SLP-05 for 2 years. Bought it with all the upgrades because I knew I would eventually make the changes. It came with Electro-Harmonix tubes that are considered average. I rolled in Psvane 6sn7-se "tennis balls". Wow, it sounds great. Comments about the high gain are puzzling. It has gain level adjustment right on the front panel. Once adjusted to your speakers, all is good.

The Cary SLP 05 is a very good sounding preamp.The mid level Supratek 6SN7 preamps like Supratek Sauvignon  are a bit better however.And less than half the price.The difference being you are buying the Supratek direct from the maker and avoiding retail mark-ups.

I looked at Supratek before buying my SLP 05 and there were a number of issues that kept me from ordering one.  

Long lead time like 6 months plus was one, no balanced connections and limited number of inputs were other issues.  

Also the web site had virtually no information to help make a decision. 

Avan

Are you sure you’re looking at the right Cary Audio preamp? They have both balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs. May want to double check.