Why Do You Post?

I come here to poke fun ONLY... No need for tech talk. AG could care less. I'm trying to draw the TROLLS out.. I'm bored.

This is what someone posted in an active thread.  I'm dumbfounded!

I come to Audiogon to learn and share information, keep abreast of audiophile happenings and to gain exposure or insight into music.  I thought I was in the majority camp of users, but based upon the above quote, could be I'm not.

128x128onhwy61

Lots of d*cks, and some nice people too. You are safe, unless you have an alternate view point. I didn't say ducks...😁

I first started posting at the end of 2005, to get feedback from other users who had made the switch from full range electrostats to horns. I got some good input. Since then, I’ve periodically posted on troubleshooting issues, including electrical system approaches, on "new to me" LPs (most of which are old or just standard pressings from back in the day- not audiophile reissues of warhorses) or occasionally, to help someone who asks about equipment with which I’m familiar.

I find that the chat fora do change over time-- nature of the beast. I still check in at Audiogon, but am not as involved here as I once was.

I do like the "community" aspect- moderation was never really an issue since there seemed to be a general understanding that civility was better than snark if your objective was to get or share information.

If people want to use the board to fight or engage in a battle of wits, knock yourself out. One thing that seems to be a constant theme these days is the elusive "magic bullet" type tweak that is going transform your system. I think getting the basics right first is more important.

When I came up in this hobby, you didn’t have to spend the equivalent of a house to get what was considered "high end" (although not cheap, even then, compared to mass market). Some of that equipment still endures. Now, I think a lot of people are looking for reasonably priced alternatives and there is a huge amount of equipment out there- tube amps, turntables, cartridges, etc., to say nothing of innovations in digital home playback.

I think there’s always a tendency to recommend what you own, or aspire to. I do try to resist that, and often avoid product recommendations altogether, looking instead to what the user’s objective is, room, state of AC power.

I also don’t pretend guru status. I guess being amused may be more important than being informed. We’ll age out and the next generation will take the helm if it hasn’t already.

The only constant is change.

Posting is about knowledge sharing. Unfortunately the world is full of Know-it-alls spoiling the experience.

FWIW, this forum does not represent what I came to audio to experience, yet ’hope springs eternal’. :-)

+1  If you read the guidelines at the bottom of the page they state this forum's purpose is to discuss audio.