Difusers on the speakers?

I’ve read hundreds of posts on this forum about room treatments,

Today the following occured to me

• Many posts talks about room treaments - specifially diffusers - and how their placement benefits sound quality by dispersing/absorbing reflected sound waves
    • my speakers are a rectangular box 10" wide and 40" tall with a very flat front
    • it occured to me that having some type of diffuser (or absorbtion material) on the front of them might improve sound quality

My guess is that speakers with a slightly curved front has a buit in diffuser

Has anyone tried this?

What was the result?

Cheers - Steve

williewonka

If you have walls a floor and ceiling and contents of different materials and shapes then laminar flow devices help mitigate the boundary interference induced by shapes while listening to music. Tom

@asvjerry re: 

What do you find objectionable?

I was just thinking about diffusers between the speakers and wondered if anyone hade tried them on the front of speakers as well - after all, on many speakers the front is flat and quite reflective 

Cheers

OP, FWIW I can't imagine what/why diffusors in front of the speakers would do anything dissimilar to putting a blanket over them (assuming I'm correctly visualizing what your thinking about). 

Interesting thing about having wide baffles, it can improve bass/low midrange response and give a more pleasing sonic balance, at least more so than having  curved surfaces on a tall narrow speaker. (All typical caveats apply.)

If you want to play around with controlling sound with devices placed near or on your speakers which in essence creates a 'live end/dead end room. It won't necessarily have any WAF but it can get you a sound that has less room affect than others. Place sound absorbent panels immediately adjacent to both sides of your speakers (extending out in front a foot or so). This helps kill any sidewall reflection points and back wall reflections (if your speakers are toed in). I did this many years ago with some commercially available 6 inch thick dense foam rubber 'U' shaped panels. Just amazing how it cleared/cleaned up the sound. I learned a lot in the process but then I didn't have a dedicated room, i.e. one without a wife. So it goes/went. :-)

2 things..Nextel spray finish Flocking spray..oh and 1 more thing..the EnABl process..All will work..even 1 of these on the drivers. Tom

Agreeing with @newbee , but I’d cut holes in the blanket. An old bath towel could work, and you could vary the thickness....
Something to play about with....

Room arrangement can make a huge change, as can treatments. But one has to perk their ears up, almost literally. Things get subtle....

Since there’s no ’Do Not Remove’ tags on audio gear (not withstanding the ’No User Parts’ labels), you are free to whatever still falls into the SAF Zone.

...and Good Luck with that.... ;) You are on your own.....

@theaudiotweak ....Re EnABl process: I take it you approve of it?
Had an ongoing curiosity about it, and thoughts on how to do it easily...