Difusers on the speakers?

I’ve read hundreds of posts on this forum about room treatments,

Today the following occured to me

• Many posts talks about room treaments - specifially diffusers - and how their placement benefits sound quality by dispersing/absorbing reflected sound waves
    • my speakers are a rectangular box 10" wide and 40" tall with a very flat front
    • it occured to me that having some type of diffuser (or absorbtion material) on the front of them might improve sound quality

My guess is that speakers with a slightly curved front has a buit in diffuser

Has anyone tried this?

What was the result?

Cheers - Steve

williewonka

@newbee

Folks have been surrounding their tweeters with thick felt for ages.

Here is a good source for thick felt to surround tweeters. High wool content, up to one inch thick and either white or grey color. These are already cut into circles and come as large as 8 inches in diameter - so just cut the center out to match your tweeter diameter. Option of adhesive backing.

I used near the speakers, beside them and on top of the speakers what i called Helmholtz diffusers, some tubes of different size and length with great success...

I used some tubes with one mouth open, others with one mouth or the two mouths filtered by some various thickness of fabric cloth or with smaller packs of tubes inside one mouth or the two mouths...

The SECRET is that these diffusers are used in a DISSYMMETRICAL way for the speaker A and the speaker B...

Why ?

Because i used the "precedence principle" or first wavefront principle of Haas which is a psycho-acoustical binaural effect that say the location of sounds in space is created in the brain by the differentials timing of the first wavefront coming to speaker A and Speaker B to Ear A and EAR B...

To increase and reinforce that effect i use, like a focusing "lense" for the soundwaves direct one and also some reflected one, a two panels foldable screen of wood( with many H. diffusers on it behind my head and listening position...

I used a complete room treatment and a big grid of H. resonators and diffusers, all that work in synergy...( ionizers too and a Schuman generators grid)

The effect of vibrations control with among others things dissymetrical compressive force applied under and on top of the damping load of the speakers, and added to that the effect by controls over the electrical noise floor of the house (my golden plate:shungite+copper+quartz+graphene) with the described acoustical and psycho-acoustical control above is astounding for a relatively good but basic audio system...

About the OP question, i dont know what will be the effect of these diffusers ALONE with your type of speakers ( mine are a two way box type with front porthole) because i used these diffusers near my speakers only after  my system/room/house was already heavily controlled... This added  improvement to all my others devices effect and embeddings controls..

You must listen and experiment.... DONT LISTEN TO ANYBODY... Read think listen and experiment... Only you know the sound coming through your ears...

No room /system is the same and the acoustic of small room for one head  is more complex than Hall acoustic for a crowd by the way...Tuning a small room for one pair of ears and using reverberation time and acoustic specific content is difficult, you CANNOT USE an easy recipe to reach an optimal.. you must experiments and listen for the tuning.. Simple recipe are there to make easier the life of the sellers of acoustic panels...They work but dont make the maximal possible positive improvement...

I say  all that for those lucky enough to be able to experiment in a dedicated audio room...

By the way my room is a LABORATORY not a living room or an esthetical model...

I only spoke to communicate to some the way to good sound: acoustic, and to motivate some to experiment...By the way all this cost me almost nothing except time...

My best to all in this dire time of ours......

Music is a therapeutic with power increased by sound control ...

If you have walls a floor and ceiling and contents of different materials and shapes then laminar flow devices help mitigate the boundary interference induced by shapes while listening to music. Tom

@asvjerry re: 

What do you find objectionable?

I was just thinking about diffusers between the speakers and wondered if anyone hade tried them on the front of speakers as well - after all, on many speakers the front is flat and quite reflective 

Cheers

OP, FWIW I can't imagine what/why diffusors in front of the speakers would do anything dissimilar to putting a blanket over them (assuming I'm correctly visualizing what your thinking about). 

Interesting thing about having wide baffles, it can improve bass/low midrange response and give a more pleasing sonic balance, at least more so than having  curved surfaces on a tall narrow speaker. (All typical caveats apply.)

If you want to play around with controlling sound with devices placed near or on your speakers which in essence creates a 'live end/dead end room. It won't necessarily have any WAF but it can get you a sound that has less room affect than others. Place sound absorbent panels immediately adjacent to both sides of your speakers (extending out in front a foot or so). This helps kill any sidewall reflection points and back wall reflections (if your speakers are toed in). I did this many years ago with some commercially available 6 inch thick dense foam rubber 'U' shaped panels. Just amazing how it cleared/cleaned up the sound. I learned a lot in the process but then I didn't have a dedicated room, i.e. one without a wife. So it goes/went. :-)