Headphones Newbie; Senheisser HD 800s or Focal MG Clear

Hi

I'm currently down to one pair of speakers, Quad 2905's. And because these speakers are with the repair technician on a continual basis, I need a backup. While another pair of Quads or another brand of speakers would be ideal, I don't  have that kind of money at the moment. So I've been thinking about buying a pair of headphones that punch above their weight class. My local Senheisser dealer says the HD800s and my Focal dealer says the MG Clear. I really like the looks of the Focal's and am leaning in that direction. I'll just use the headphone input on my ASR Emitter Exclusive II. All suggestions are appreciated, thank you!

goofyfoot

@tds3371 I'm not sure why you're saying the Sennheiser's are an acquired taste, could you please explain?

@goofyfoot  I'm talking looks alone. You mentioned "really liking the looks of the Focals and leaning in that direction."  I agree:  Focal cans are stylishly designed and aesthetically pleasing.  IMHO, the jury appears to be split on the looks of the Sennheiser HD800s.  Not inherently bad - just different from many others (including the Focals). In retrospect, it probably makes little difference, since headphones should be assessed primarily on how they feel and sound - NOT how they look.  As mentioned - if possible, try both before you buy.  You can't go wrong with either selection.

If you like a lot of bass, you're not going to get much out of the Sennheisers - what you'll get is a very, very wide sound stage, details, and airy presentation. If you want more muscle in your sound, I'd suggest the Focals. 

@fuzztone I like my Quads but I'm wanting more variety. As I'm sure you know, the Quads really shine with classical music but can be lacking with a lot of rock or pop.