Headphones Newbie; Senheisser HD 800s or Focal MG Clear

Hi

I'm currently down to one pair of speakers, Quad 2905's. And because these speakers are with the repair technician on a continual basis, I need a backup. While another pair of Quads or another brand of speakers would be ideal, I don't  have that kind of money at the moment. So I've been thinking about buying a pair of headphones that punch above their weight class. My local Senheisser dealer says the HD800s and my Focal dealer says the MG Clear. I really like the looks of the Focal's and am leaning in that direction. I'll just use the headphone input on my ASR Emitter Exclusive II. All suggestions are appreciated, thank you!

goofyfoot

Showing 2 responses by tds3371

@goofyfoot  I'm talking looks alone. You mentioned "really liking the looks of the Focals and leaning in that direction."  I agree:  Focal cans are stylishly designed and aesthetically pleasing.  IMHO, the jury appears to be split on the looks of the Sennheiser HD800s.  Not inherently bad - just different from many others (including the Focals). In retrospect, it probably makes little difference, since headphones should be assessed primarily on how they feel and sound - NOT how they look.  As mentioned - if possible, try both before you buy.  You can't go wrong with either selection.

While I would agree the Sennheiser HD800s are, aesthetically speaking, a somewhat acquired taste, I find the sound to be superlative in my tube system.  However, I actually find them slightly LESS comfortable than the HD6xx line (for example), but it's not a major issue; they're just a bit heavier and have larger earpads.  Sorry I can't comment on the Focals.