Selling gear with TMR

I’m at the point of wanting to sell some gear and am seeking any experiences of selling with The Music Room. Did it make things easier? Did you get what you thought was a reasonable offer? Other benefits or detriments you might share?

128x128hilde45

@pmotz ...They offered $500 which I thought was probably about half what I could get for it and I did not have original packaging so I thought, oh well save me the trouble. They listed it for $1500 and it sold in a few days from their website, never made it to Audiogon. I’m pretty disillusioned with them right now.

They offered you 33% of selling price, and 200% profit for them in two days.

Accepting their offer and determining "Value Received" is a learned experience,

Now you know more, and can sell it yourself if that makes better sense next time.

I recently bought from The Music Room and was impressed with their support when FedEx became a problem. I was totally impressed with their packaging. They went beyond anything I've ever seen. They use a liquid foam packaging process that completely pads the equipment. They seem to be a good company that cares about customer service. Would I sell my gear to them? Probably not. I'm not interested in selling at 33-50% resale value. I've been selling gear for many years. Talking to the person on the phone always fleshes out any questions in my mind. I haven't had any problems with transactions, but it does require time to take photos, package things up, list the ad, respond to replies, have that phone call, deal with PayPal, go to FedEx, UPS, USPS. Then wait for confirmation that everything is okay. I don't mind doing those things, but some might not. 

decooney, I've sold quite a few pieces here on Audiogon in the past and they have all been good transactions.  Of late though, I've heard of sales going bad and now there are significant fees for selling so I have procrastinated on selling things.  This particular amp has been sitting in a box for about four years.  I tried to find a use for it but wasn't successful.  It was time to move it.  I had bought a couple of items from TMR and thought I should try selling.  TMR will pay to ship the items you sell to them, but this amp needed better packaging than I had so I was still hesitant.  By coincidence I was going to be in Colorado last month, so I arranged to drop the two items off (I actually had another box of misc stuff I brought along).  I would assume I saved them over $100 in shipping, the amp alone weighed about 70 pounds, but I got no credit for that.  Further, trying to arrange a drop off was overly complicated, they insisted I bring it at a particular time.  The drop off took less than five minutes and involved no paperwork.  The whole process just left me annoyed.  I will not sell to them again, not sure about buying.  It's good to hear others have had good transactions, it just didn't work out for me.

Every experience I've encountered with TMR has been fantastic.  Buying, selling, consignment, or even declining an offer.  Always quick and professional communication.  I've used them 50+ times over the past few years.

For someone like me, short on patience, they're my go-to.  I still sell gear here and the other site, but if something doesn't sell in a couple weeks I'll use TMR and then kick myself for not doing it initially.