Has the cost of HiFi gotten a bit too much?

I don't have any specific example but just from looking at it overall, it seems like high-end components prices have really risen more than inflation.  

Or may be it is must me?

andy2

I agree with just about everything that tsacremento @ said.

If I may add the following.

I got into audio - we called them stereos back then - when I was 14 years old, in 1968. That was a very good year to get into audio, imho.

As a high school freshman, I mowed lawns, shoveled snow, washed dishes at restaurants, painted homes, weeded gardens, etc whatever odd jobs I could find. With the money earned from that, I was able to save enough money to buy a Dyna 70 and Dyna PAS kit and build my own amplifier and preamp, buy speakers and a tuner from Lafayette Radio, and a Garard turntable with a Pickering Cartridge. The whole shebang set me back less than $300.

That setup held up through college. In my 20s, I upgraded to a Dual 129 table with a Stanton Cartridge, and a pair of Altec 604Cs.

In my 30s, I wanted to seriously upgrade, but the budget of an artsy fartsy such as myself didn’t really permit it, even though this was still the mid-80s when audio inflation had not really kicked in yet. I solved the problem by always buying second hand or floor demonstration models.

I think that it is since the 00s that audio inflation started to severely ramp up, in lockstep with the increasing wealth gap. I guess audio companies saw that they could get rich quick ’n easy with marketing gimmicks / shenanigans in the face of the law of diminishing returns, rather than serve a wider public. Speakers for $600K? Are those speakers really 100 times better than a pair costing $6K?

To that point, many of you have heard the anecdote that I am about to repeat, but I never tire of it, so here we go again.

A few years back, I was walking home from work. I pass by an audio shop window in NoHo, NYC and see a pair of floor-standing speakers whose size and scale looked suspiciously familiar. I go inside to take a look.

The salesman comes up almost immediately and asks if I have any questions. I ask if I could find an LP on the shop floor that I was familiar with and listen to it on the speakers. We find Kind of Blue By Miles Davis and listen to the first track.

The salesman asks what I think. I say they sound great. I then say that the speakers seem similar to the Altec 604C. He said that I was mistaken. I got up and went to one of them and said "You are right. They don’t seem similar. They are in fact the 604Cs. I know because I have a pair myself, and the drivers are (as I am pointing to one) identical to this".

So the salesman then goes onto explain how Shindo - the company that "made" these speakers - did yadda yadda with a unique crossover design and after a few minutes I say "They are not perhaps by any chance based on the Mastering Lab crossover that Doug Sachs made (allegedly for Bruce Botnick of the Doors)?"

So the salesman goes on yadda yadfda about the special cabinet and I cut him off and say "Yes, they are gorgeous, but cabinets are not rocket science. Clearly Shindo followed then same geometry that Altec specified, as the dimensions are identical to my own".

"So, what I would like to know is the following. You are asking $34K for these speakers, and while they sound a little different from mine and do sound great, they do not sound in any meaningfully way better than mine, and as I paid only $3,500 for my pair, they absolutely don’t sound 10 times better. Why should anyone pay anywhere near $33K for these?"

At this point, I have attracted the attention of other customers, and so I give him my business card with my email address and I conclude "I have to get home for dinner. Could you please contact Shindo, send them my question and ask them to send a reply to that email address? Thank you!".

I leave, shaking my head and wonder to myself: some Wall Street guy is gonna walk in there, not knowing how to spend his money, and buy the damn things.

The following week, I stop by. I have no response from Shindo. The speakers were sold.

Btw I subsequently learned that Shindo did in fact call them the 604 Alnico or something, so Shindo was not being entirely disingenuous. Why the salesperson did not share that information with me in the first place I do not know.

You can still buy on eBay the Altec 604C drivers for less than $2,000, the Mastering Lab crossovers for about $900, and have cabinets built for another $1,800, that’s less than $5K total.

Sigh.

As for thecarpathian @ attack on the audioguy85: I loathe what he said myself but do we have to go over the top with an attack? Just click the arrow in the upper right, click Report Comment, and hopefully the moderator will remove the offending comment.

theaudioatticvinylsundays.com

For the higher price of gear i dont give a damn...Speakers may cost less than a tuna can soon....This global crisis is not ended... 😁

A war or hyperinflation is our choice now , what else? Is this not the evident proposed PROGRAMMED alternatives in the news?

I myself will not upgrade and dont need to....

Acoustic COST peanuts... Only much fun time to tune a room...

Then dont look at inflated price of gear buy an acoustic book and begin experiments... No cost... I used junk material myself...And my low cost system is not so far way behind ANYTHING at ANY price i ever listened to, thanks to acoustic science...The greatest HUGE upgrade come from learning acoustic method not from a new speakers or dac or anything else in most case....

And dont vote for left or right corrupted politicians....Dont listen TV and dont read official news...Buy books....

😁😊

«House without books is a cavern with no windows»-Anonymus Smith

«I never buy books i  borrow them from my  friend»-Groucho Marx 🤓

larry5729

"Wait until the United States starts writing checks for $trillions to rebuild Ukraine. We will contribute 90% to rebuild Ukraine. We should send a bill to Russia. Perhaps tell Russia we will lift some of the sanctions if they pay to rebuild. As I see it, what does Ukraine have left after their buildings have been destroyed? We will pay 90% of the cost and allow our allies to take complete advantage of us.

What do the citizens of Ukraine have left to live in? How many years will they have to wait until they have a place to live? I think we need to send Putin the bill. If he doesn’t respond with action, then enforce even more sanctions."

larry5729, I’ll raise you one on that. I think the Ukraine War is really a conspiracy concocted by the Kremlin and the Pentagon. Both need to use up aging weapons system inventory and create an excuse to justify even more military spending (well, the Pentagon does at any rate). Why not start a little war in Central Europe, and test out some new toys while we are at it?

Talk about rants. Jeez.

When people resort to insults and labels  instead of argument , articles and reflexions it is not surprizing....