Mogami 2921 vs Canare 4s11 vs ???

My goal is to build new cables that I will use for the next 15 years, no matter what speakers I have, but I don't want to spend money that will force me to get a 2nd mortgage..  My current speakers are 4 Ohm so my thought is I need at least 12 gauge - 10 gauge wire.  I am planning to replace my AudioQuest Type 4 speaker wire in my home theater with Canare 4s11 until I found Canare 4s11g, unfortunately you can't buy Canare 4s11g, at least I couldn't find it for sale.  So I began looking at other speaker wire and  Mogami speaker cable appeared.  There are several choices, the 3104, 3103, 2921 are a few.them. Most of the ink is on Mogami 3104 speaker wire and it is highly regarded. I noticed Mogami 2921, 4 conductors of 14 gauge wire appeared to be exactly like the Canare 4s11, except the Mogami copper wire is OFC.  My question for the experts who support this forum are:  Is the Mogami 2921 as good or better than the Canare 4s11?  Should I continue to search for Canare 4s11g cable or just be happy with the 4s11? Should I expand my budget and use one of the Mogami flavors (3104, 3103, 2921)  wire?  Should I stop the search for wire and just purchase 10 -12 gauge OFC wire and end the analysis paralysis?

If the DIY speaker wire build goes well I am sure I will replace my Monster cable stereo connections with new cables and connectors, but first things first..... the speakers need new connections.  Any and all feedback is welcomed.

Ag insider logo xs@2xbvk_houtx

Re: Mogami 3103 and 3104

Check out the prices for 3104 at Markertek

I have recent experience with the 3104 and 3103 and I can say 3104, as a single speaker cable, is a PITA to work with.

I like it now that I’m done, but I probably should have gone with either 3103 (Parts Express has it by the foot) or the 2921.

The cable itself handles very well given it’s thickness. It’s very flexible while laying it out on the floor. The jacket is resilient but soft, so it’s really easy to nick the internal insulators. It’s hard to find cable pants and because the conductors are almost 10 gauge you need appropriate strippers but also finding connectors that will accept 2x 11 gauge is pretty hard. I ended up using WBT crimp sleeves to ensure I got even pressure distribution, so that adds $4/connector. If you are using it as bi-wiring with 4 connectors on each end this gets a lot easier.

The 3103, which is close to 11 gauge, is about 4 times easier to work on, and off-the-shelf pant sleeves fit perfectly if you cut the legs in half, and the need for a crimp sleeve vanishes.  You get to a neater, finished product really fast, but again, get cable strippers that can do 10 gauge stranded or you'll cut a lot of strands off every time.

Good way to preserve your strands of wire is using good wire stripper/proper awg cut your length...enough to were you can break the pvc/covering...then cut along the length/xacto.Just enough to open youre splice.This takes some patience and does save strands.

I purchased (2) 17’ runs of Canare 4s11 for my Magnepan 3.7 which are 4 ohm and it is excellent. Good prices from Redco in CT. Sorry no experience with Mogami.

I have been using Canare 4S11 speaker cables in both systems for a couple of years. I have no desire to change, ever. Previously, I had expensive $1K+ cables. The Canare are much better, not even a comparison.

@stereo5 

Previously, I had expensive $1K+ cables. The Canare are much better, not even a comparison.

Thank you. I have some $1K+ speaker cables as well and have considered a DIY speaker cable. You have just answered the question I have been asking myself