Why is most everything remastered?

It's becoming more and more difficult to find what sound signature was originally meant by the artist. I have examples that sound terrible after remastering. I understand why it has to be this way, If and only it improves the original, if not... leave it alone!

voodoolounge

@cd318

"Those records might be going cheap nowadays, but at the time they were quite expensive prestidge items."

betterrecords.com is selling some of these records for hundreds of dollars...even on ebay the prices are sometimes crazy. I like it when I find some of these old records still in great shape in the thrift store for a buck. They are getting a bit harder to find In good shape, as a lot of them have been trashed. I’ll never understand how someone could have been so careless with some of these gems.

Just a few examples,  got a NM Sheherazade Fritz Reiner RCA white dog pressing for 12 bucks on Discogs.  Today, at local thrift store, I picked up a vg++ to NM copy of Capital records rainbow  -mono-  Carousel, with a young Shiley Jones, one dollar. 

voodoolounge

Good thread. No doubt that there is a cash-grab aspect to this business. On the flipside, probably not a bad idea to have a modern back-up on file. I tend to collect 1st pressing CD and SACD discs. As above, some Remasters sound better while others do not. I do not mind a little tape hiss on those flat transfers from the 80's.

Yes, I do own many variations of the CD/SACD except MQA coded titles.

New is not always better.

Happy Listening!

Great question - I used to think along the same lines.  There are legal reasons, however. It's a method for artists to get the ownership of their work back - if it is remastered, it counts as an original copyright.  Otherwise all the music belongs to the record companies. 

emaillists

this from your post is why I make my remarks about RIAA:

" the tapes used for the cutting were very often a copy with bass rolled of so the phono carts of the time could track it. New vinyl masters don’t require that since cartridges are better today"

that's just wrong, it was about 'long play'

I don't have a lot of re-masters or re-mixes (mostly Beatles) but I haven't heard one yet that I didn't like.  I'm sure there are some out there.

I much prefer the Beatles in stereo.  I know the stories about the mono vs. stereo mixes.  For me, listening to something in mono when I could be hearing it in stereo is like watching a movie with one eye closed.  YMMV.