What made you change to a 6SN7 preamp?

If you made an intentional shift toward a 6SN7-based tube preamp, what sonic characteristics motivated your move?

I have been doing some comparisons and think I have some reasons I like the 6SN7 better, but there are so many factors which could be at play, that I'm not sure what is responsible. 

Rather than list my details for others to analyze, I'd rather hear your answer to the basic question.

Tell me about your path toward a 6SN7 preamp?

What did you change from and why?

Even if, overall, the change was worth it, did you lose anything in the transition? What?

128x128hilde45

I’ve used 6SN7 preamps for years now. Richer tone, greater linearity, in general less gain, and better availability of new production tubes that actually sound good. While I usually run NOS tubes, there are currently produced 6SN7s that I could easily live with if the supply of reasonably priced NOS tubes dried up.

My latest is the Atma-Sphere MP-3, possibly The Final Preamp for me. I’ve also owned a Don Sachs Model 2, the Modwright LS-100, the LTA MZ2, a Consonance Cyber 222, and a Wright Sound WLA12A.

In building preamp amplifiers, the 6SN7 based tube in general is a warmer sound, more relaxed presentation, more dimensional soundstage with real mid-range beauty.  That being said, the 6DJ8/6922 is generally more dynamic, faster, better clarity, and more slam.  It is a more upfront presentation.

Each one has benefits that may attract a person to that type of sound.

Happy Listening.

+1 bigkidz regarding the 6SN7. I once own a Carver cd player that had the 6DJ8 tubes in analog output stage.  Loved the sound of it, was as good to my ears as many more expensive players in the 90s. 

I run a preamp which uses 6 x 6DJ8's and the sound is as Bigkidz describes though perhaps a touch of warmth. Never had a 6SN7 preamp in my system always been curious.

The almost infinite choices,is what makes this hobby so wonderful. There is literally a different option for every single preference.  The fact is,I truly enjoy the choices I’ve made. But that’s not saying there are 1000’s more I would enjoy also. Or even more.