The Best Preamp is no Preamp?

So recently I've discovered the possibility of completely removing my preamp from my rig. I've never heard or considered this before, so much audio tradition... But in going directly from DAC to amplifier the sound quality is absolutely incredible, instantly had me grinning. Using music server to Chord M Scaler to Chord Qutest (cut out Marantz SR5015) to go directly to dual Emotiva XPA-DR1 monoblocks, to GR Research's 24 strand speaker wire to Magnepan 1.7i's.  Only difference is running volume on server vs Marantz remote, sound quality is the biggest jump I've ever heard with any gear.

Have you guys had experience cutting out the preamp from your rig? What's your thoughts?

128x128brandonhifi
Post removed 

Preamp is the brain of the system, so many pieces of audio/video equipment to hook up to it. I guess if all you have is a DAC, you could bypass it but I would never be able to live with just a DAC.

I agree. My system sounds much better going straight from the dac into the amp, and I had a great sounding preamp. My dac is fpga based with an attenuation control so I can get the best sound by using this control.

I'm using just the amp and a dac and I think it sounds great. For others maybe not but I'm happy with it.